Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
GA_HP_shooter

Herfed wit Junior Watson tonight!

Got sent to Minneapolis this morning. Flew out and got there at 9:30am - straight to work.

At lunch, I picked up the local entertainment weekly from a rack out in front of the restaurant and took a gander to see if there was anything happening. I had never been here before, and I figured I might as well make the best of my 2 night stay, ya know. Tons of music here! Clubs galore! Being a blues fiend, I was checking out the blues listings and found that Junior Watson, a west-coast guitarist whose old-school fat swing playing I really really love, was playing a club, no cover, just a few miles from the hotel. I had only seen him once long ago when he was with Rod Piazza. Kewl!

We busted ass all afternoon and got everything working around 7, went and ate (Don Pablos ). I said hey lets all go to this blues club and 4 others came along.

So me 'n the gang from work went over to the Southside Music Cafe (?)club off Hwy13 in Burnsville. It was a roadhouse bar with a lot of Harleys parked in front. I was dying for a smoke after a long day, and since there were a ton of lit cigarettes already stinking up the place, I lit up a nice RA corona, got a double Myers (best rum they had), and we soon were seated at a good table by the dance floor. Jr had just got off 1st break and was going back on stage. It was great. The band was swingin', Junior tight and toney on an old gold top 'Paul, and folks were dancing (including me 'n Melanie, a very nice engineer from work with a fine brown frame don't tell my wife or her husband OK ). Jr was blowing my mind on some of his stuff, some Pee-wee Crayton, Ike Turner, and Bill Dogget instrumental covers, with his snaky chord changes and rippling leads with the funky dissonnant-but-o-so-right notes in all the right places. He is the shit, no doubt.

So anyway Jr comes over on the next break and hangs out, lights up a stogie hisself, and we had a smoke together. I gave him a HU PC for later, and we all shot the shit.

Then they played some more. I danced with Mel some more. We drank a lil' bit more. The gang from work had a good time, too. Now I'm back at the hotel (by myself ) going to bed,

..........and that is all.
GA_HP_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote