Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2002, 09:49 AM   #1
JinE

On a whim I purchased a Bargainhumidors.com Gettysburg second for $79 + $10 shipping. I received it Saturday (I didn't know Fedex Home delivered on Saturday!) and quickly unpackaged it in a druken stupor (still celebrating the Victory over the LSU tigers). MY first impressions:

http://www.mindspring.com/~deoredx/Humidork.jpg

-This thing is a second? WTF is wrong with it... I can't find the flaw!!!
-Hmmm... web page did not mention the fact it came with a hygrometer and humidification units. I took all that time to build a box container to hold Climax beads too. The hygrometer is very nice and hefty. It's not like some of those cheap $5 ones where the needle bounce around 4-5% when you move it.
-Good solid feel, nice workmanship.
-Side handles are solid and have a very nice feel to them

The only other humidor I have of comperable price/size is my Boxpressed Mayorga humidor I bought from JR's. How does it stack up to what I considered one of the nicest/best humidor for the money?

-The finish on the Boxpressed humi is painted and highly laquered (i.e. faux wood paint but is very well done). The veneer on the BH is very well done and is very nicely finished as well. The finish on the Boxpressed humi seems more scratch resistant and more durable.
-The boxpressed humi is glued and routed MDF, which leaves no visible seams on the outside. That combined with the laquered finish leaves a very smooth exterior.
-Both the BH and the poxpressed's spanish cedar linings are very well done (i.e. line up, no uneveness on the cuts or corners).
-Volume wise they are very similar, but I find I can fit more cigars in a more organized fashion in the Gettysburg because of the the second tray (The JR/Boxpressed has only one) and the multiple dividers (BH as two for the base while the JR/Boxpresed has only one).
-It took less then 7 hours for the humidity to stabilize in my Gettysburg. So far using just the supplied credos (did not stick my CLimax in there yet) it's holding a constant 70 since Saturday night.

Which humidor do I prefer? Man... that's a tough call. Both are VERY nice, very similar in size, and both are holding their humidity extremely well ( though it's only been two days on the BH.com). I perfer the layout of the Gettysburg, but I have to give the ever so slight (and I mean SLIGHT) nod in quality to the JR's/Boxpressed. The Bargainhumidors.com has the BIG advantage of not having a logo on it making it more SO friendly. The humidor alone at JR's is $149, while my second was $79. For that reason alone I would suggest the Bargainhumidor. Even at full price ($109) I would suggest the BH.com. Usually you can get the JR/boxpressed for $99 with the purchase of two boxes of the cigar on the logo, but then you're still going to be looking at alomost $200+ for the humidor and two boxes. Either way you can't go wrong. Both are very nice and perform their task well.

-Jin "A new Bargain Humidor Fan" E
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote