Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
SigloOne

A New Cigar And A Great Afternoon...

This past Saturday I took a friend of mine to The Owl Shop, a fantastic old tobacconist turned cigar bar, located in New Haven, CT.

Until recently I worked in New Haven and was a regular customer, on this trip I was again greeted warmly by Joe, the manager of the tobacconist side of the biz who has worked there for 43 years(thats 3 years longer than I have been alive!).

I asked Joe what was new and if there was anything special he could recommend. He led me over to a case and pointed out a new line of cigars called Winston Churchill, made by Davidoff. Although they were pricey($14-$20), Joe has never steered me wrong so I chose a couple. They looked fantastic, visually flawless, with just a hint of red in the rich brown wrapper.

I started with the Winston Churchill Marrakesh.From the moment flame licked at the foot of the cigar I knew I was in for a treat. The flavor was incredibly rich and creamy with just the right amount of spice.

I paired it up with a nice peaty/smokey snifter of Ardbeg Single Malt and proceeded to thoroughly enjoy the experience. My buddy, Russ, had also taken Joe's advice, and while Russ is a relative newby to cigars, he was really impressed with the cigar.

After our cigars and scotchs, we headed around the corner and down the block to Atticus Bookstore Cafe for a wonderful lunch, after which we returned to The Owl Shop and each had another Winston Churchill and some more glasses of scotch.

It made for a great guys out afternoon, sadly the last one for a long while as my friend, Russ, is moving back home to Indiana to take a construction management job at Perdue University.

I highly recommend both the Winston Churchil line of cigars and The Owl Shop (in case you happen to be in New Haven). In both cases you will not be disappointed. BTW, I also highly recommend Ardbeg as well.

--Steve
SigloOne is offline   Reply With Quote