Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
sd_smoker
Club Member

I'm seriously considering buying a bass and taking lessons. I've played guitar off and on for a few years, but I think I'll like playing bass even more. My brother-in-law is in a band and they're gonna need a bass player in a few months. He said to start the lessons and we'd see where I'm at in a few months.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for a decent beginner bass that I can use for gigging as I progress? I was looking at the Squier P-Bass Special and an Ibanez GSR200. Any other advice is welcome as well!

"I drink a great deal. I sleep little, and smoke cigar after cigar. That's why I am in two-hundred percent form."
- Winston Churchill
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
mannish
Herf God

I would get the cheapest. Since you already play guitar I am assuming you are already obsessed with music. People who are sometime listeners or listen to what the radio feeds them never make it more than a couple monthss. I think the cheapest decent one is best. I have found that within reason it is not the instrument you either sound good or you don't. I am totally against lessons until you learn how to play. The only way to learn how ( as you know) is practice and a teacher can not give you that. Then after you can play take lessons to expand on what you know. I'll tell you this you can get more work learning to play a bass guitar really well than going to college. A GOOD bass player (with a good attitude) ALWAYS. ALWAYS has a good paying job.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:45 PM   #3
sd_smoker
Club Member

Interesting advice, mannish. Both those guitars are pretty cheap, between $200-300. The only radio I listen to is talk radio, so I don't even keep up with the crap that is being pushed on people anymore. I'm not too worried about burning out. As you said, I'm already obsessed with music.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep little, and smoke cigar after cigar. That's why I am in two-hundred percent form."
- Winston Churchill
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
Old 01-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #4
mannish
Herf God

I hope I didn't sound like I think I know it all, I don't. I was only going by my experience.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
unklebill
Club Member

I have played Bass for a few years now and have had allot of success with rubber worms especially in weedy patches, where they like to hang out.

As for lessons, I don't think that is necessary, but you might pick up a couple of the BassMaster videos as they have some nice pointers.

BILL

"For a handful of coin I happen to have a private and uncut performance of "The Rape of the Sabine Women," or rather woman, or rather Alfred, and for eight you can participate."

Edited by - unklebill on 01/22/2002 3:00:31 PM
Old 01-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #6
sd_smoker
Club Member

mannish, you know more than me and that's all I care about!

@Bill

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
Enzo

HOW 'BOUT THE UPDATE!!!

So SD ,,, have you gotcha a new bass and rig yet? What'd ya get?
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:30 AM   #8
St. Alphonzo

sd,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been playing guitar faithfully for the last 10 years and looking at either a bass or violin as next instrument to try. MFriend has a Dean bass with one pickup and some sort of amp set with headphones. For about 150.00 looks like a good deal for a beginner.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
HuskerHerfer

No matter what you're playing, you can't go too far wrong with a Fender Precision.
HuskerHerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
sd_smoker
Club Member

Actually, we had our first child a couple months after my last post and then we bought a house a few months after that. As you can imagine I am seriously lacking spare time and money. This is still something I'd like to pursue, but I'd be lucky if I could get in 15 minutes of practice in a day. Assuming I could even afford a guitar, that is.