Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Poll: Most influential rap
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Most influential rap

Old 02-22-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Most influential rap

NOTICE: This is not a thread for anyone to say, "I hate rap," yadda, yadda, yadda...

If you don't like it, please refrain from participating. Otherwise, please vote.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Morticia

Most influential? None of these are old school. I suppose if you hadn't put songs in, I'd have chosen Run DMC. Personally, I think that the one most influential in rap was Kurtis Blow.

Unless you want to talk about who brought about hip hop and changed the "face" of rap. Or, do you want to talk about who is most influential in rap today? Doesn't matter...none of the answers to these are on your list.

my

Old 02-22-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
Guv
Internationally Soccer Challenged
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia
Most influential? None of these are old school.
I respectfully disagree...Sugar Hill Gang is as old school as they come. They are the true innovators of Rap Music. Well before all this "Kill the man" & "F*ck some Ho" shit that exists today.

Rapper's Delight is still mixed into current music today...some 24 years later.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
emind56
Club Member

Seems to me that the Sugar Hill Gang was one of thefirst commercial rap groups and certainly can be given some credit for their breakthrough. But I would argue that the most influential stuff has always been the underground hip-hop that never even makes it to the radio or Best-buy.
emind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
grendle

I've never heard of the sugar hill gang.

I think NWA is pretty significant since several of it's members are still actively influencial. Ice-t is still around, but I can think of at least three NWA guys who are around.
grendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia
Most influential? None of these are old school. I suppose if you hadn't put songs in, I'd have chosen Run DMC. Personally, I think that the one most influential in rap was Kurtis Blow.

Unless you want to talk about who brought about hip hop and changed the "face" of rap. Or, do you want to talk about who is most influential in rap today? Doesn't matter...none of the answers to these are on your list.

my

Who, then?

NWA featured Dr Dre, arguably the most importand and influential person ever in hip-hop (with the possible exception of Russel Simmons, who never rapped himself).
Run DMC brought rap out of the ghettos to the main stream.
And who doesn't recognize Rapper's Delight. Hell, it's sampled over and over in hip hop today. How is that not influential?
Ice-T and NWA reared the ugly head of "gangsta" rap, bringing it to the attention of all.
House of Pain? All I can say is, "Jump around."

What gets to me is when the music tv channels bow to their current faves to call them "most influential." Missy Eliot, for example, is all over hip hop right now but really hasn't been at it long enough to be what I would consider influential.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #7
CHESS NUT
Club Member

I voted for walk this way because it was a crossover album and got people listening to rap who would ordinarily shy away from it. Also Id like to shae a thought. I feel that rap music does ow a little something to the music of the 50's Remember some of those old songs where the are a few verses that are spoken. The connection may be slim but I kinda feel it is there.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:07 AM   #8
The Garfather
Herf Meister

The correct answer is Run DMC. That's not just my opinion either, its really well documented. Without them rap would be nothing more than poor black kids in the ghetto trying to add rhythm to their rhymes. Without rap going mainstream there would never have been a market for Dr Dre or anyone else to make so much as a nickel.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:01 AM   #9
ClancyDaBulldog
Club Member

Sugar Hill is WAY old school and Rappers delight was the first "rap song" to hit the US top 40 in 1979.

Blondie (with Fab Five Freddy) hit #1 in 1981 with the tune "Rapture". The song (video) got maximum airplay on MTV which brought rap to the caucasian masses.

Side note: Run DMC's first album (self titled) went gold in 1984

Btw, why didn't you include Digital Underground in your poll Jeff? Humpty was way cool!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:17 AM   #10
Faust

Had to go with NWA, just a heart felt personal favorite.