Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
aaronb

JJ Cale

Hey gang,

Any other JJ Cale fans out there? I searched around, and found little mention of him on this board. You all seem to have wide and varying tastes, like I do, so I must not be the only one. He is easily in my all-time top five.

If you are curious and interested in an album, Travel Log and Troubador are two of his best. Been listeneing to a lot of Number 10 lately, too.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Mysterblues
Club Member

River runs deep, baby!! Oh ya, JJ was an old fav of mine. An old room mate and me at one point collectivly had all his stuff, until we were broke into and lost all albums and stereo and a Super Reverb. Bastids!!!!
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
aaronb

Ow, that hurts. A fine music collection is a never-ending labor of love. I've got most of his stuff now, only a couple CDs left. Of course, he pops out a new one every couple of years. Saw him live a few months ago here in Atlanta, great show.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:06 AM   #4
GA_HP_shooter

I saw JJ at the Center Stage in Atlanta a few years back. I've always been a fan, and I still have most of his LPs (real vinyl!). His original "Cocaine" is far superior to Clapton's cover IMO, in fact, I can say that about all of EC's Cale covers. Troubador is one of my all-time favorites.
GA_HP_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
aaronb

I think he was a Center Stage when I saw him last year. Real good show, and interesting crowd. Tons and tons of SpreadHeads there, turned on to JJ by Widespread's cover of Taveling Light, I suspect. It was the most quiet (non-classical) concert I have ever been to. While they were playing, the crowd was dead silent. Of course, JJ and his band were not very heavily amplified, so you had to be quiet to hear him well. He tours so rarely, you got to jump on the tickets if you get the chance.

shooter, let me know if you ever want to get rid of those LPs, I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands I'm working on getting a decent turntable...
Old 02-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
GA_HP_shooter

My daughter (11) has told me in no uncertain terms "all my vinyl belong to her"! She has pretty diverse taste, and has surprised me with some of her CD choices. Of course, her latest is the Avril Lavigne, but I like her better than the rest of the kid bands, since she can really sing, and rocks.

If I only had all the LPs I sold for $1 each at Wax 'n' Facts when I was a starving Tech student. Jeez - I bet I sold a couple hundred good ones.
GA_HP_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #7
alfa

Exit Inn in Nashville on the Troubador tour. A big guy carried JJ onto the stage, sitting on his tall stool (like a unit). When he wanted a drink of water, he raised his hand. The big guy brought out a glass of water with a 4-foot-long straw and placed it on the floor, put the straw in JJ's mouth. The crowd loved it. Smack city.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
CHESS NUT
Club Member

JJ is great I enjoy his music very much, I also like his playing style
Old 02-26-2003, 06:02 AM   #9
Castanza
Club Member

Gosh I haven't thought about JJ Cale until you wrote this thread. I did enjoy his music, although, I know I had a album (vinyl) or two, but I don't have any cd's.