Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
I shot a man in Reno

1994 Dow Port

This weekend, I cracked open a half-bottle (375ml) of Dow 1994 Vintage Port. I know, I know – it’s a crime to kill such a young bottle of "the vintage of the century" at barely 13 years of age. But I have five full bottles of this vintage and thought that one little half-bottle wouldn't hurt. Its more along the lines of a misdemeanor than a felony, right?.

Last night I enjoyed it with a 3yr old Siglo VI and it was a lovely ceremony. Wow, this really is an incredible bottle of port. And yes, it truly is too young at this point. Right now, 18 hours after being opened, it is just barely beginning to open up. The legs on this baby may be the thickest I've ever seen. The aroma is still mostly closed but the subtle complexities are starting to reveal themselves on the palette. Most noticeable are orange peel, grape juice, blackberry and pepper. There may be a touch of indian curry and gummy bear coming through too.

One thing is for sure, I look forward to visiting this vintage again as it comes closer to maturity many years from now.
I shot a man in Reno is offline   Reply With Quote