Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #31
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I did see Rod Stewart just before his Maggie May was released. A friend of mine promoted the concert and gave me free tickets. I got to meet Rod Stewart and the band he started touring at the concert.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoyo View Post
JJ Cale was high on my "Must see 'em if I get a chance" list.
JJ Cale was the worst show I ever saw, entirely because he was so smacked he was literally carried onto the stage.
Emerson Lake and Powell, and Bad Company were tied for 2nd, the former because their egos were so big they didn't sound check together, the latter because they didn't have enough talent between them to strike a match. And Ronnie Montrose backed them up - how's that for role reversal?

Should also add, John Hartford was the best small-venue entertainer I ever saw.

Last edited by alfa; 08-14-2013 at 07:39 PM.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
Bowie Fan
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa View Post
JJ Cale was the worst show I ever saw, entirely because he was so smacked he was literally carried onto the stage.
Emerson Lake and Powell, and Bad Company were tied for 2nd, the former because their egos were so big they didn't sound check together, the latter because they didn't have enough talent between them to strike a match. And Ronnie Monstrose backed them up - how's that for role reversal?
Speaking of worst shows . . . Jane's Addiction, Capitol Theater, Port Chester NY.
A small venue. When the front man wasn't falling onto the drum set, he was throwing drinks on the crowd. Not to mention the decibel level . . . it was a painful experience and we walked out of the show.

"
Everyone is crazy." - B.L.B. 1914

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

"I am a Republican because I believe in the constitution, strength in national defense, limited government, individual freedom, and personal responsibility as the concrete foundation for American government." - Martha Raye
Bowie Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #34
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie Fan View Post
Speaking of worst shows . . . Jane's Addiction, Capitol Theater, Port Chester NY.
A small venue. When the front man wasn't falling onto the drum set, he was throwing drinks on the crowd. Not to mention the decibel level . . . it was a painful experience and we walked out of the show.
Worst concert I ever saw was Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle tour at the (now bulldozed) Poplar Creek Ampitheater North of Chicago. After 3 songs Steven Tyler and Joe Perry got into a fist fight and then both stormed off stage - show over....three frikin songs!!!!!! Both drunk/stoned out of their minds and they sounded like shit....awuful.

I too have seen ALOT of bands from Talking Heads, to Rush (12x), BOC, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, SRV (2x) the list is long and full of 80's bands....
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Bass man
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
I saw Bob Seger with The Rockets and Mitch Ryder (saw Mitch Ryder with Grand Funk last summer), Foghat with City Boy in 1980, REO Speedwagon in 1977 (my first concert) and again in 2011.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching live music especially the blues festivals that come around here but there's nothing quite like playing good music with other good musicians. I'd rather do that than sit at a concert for three hours.

Last night we hosted an open mic night and we jammed with some of the best local musicians and had a blast. One of the guys (a bassist) used to play with Larry McCray and other national acts. The fellowship is awesome.
Nice to be a musician. You don't have to hassle with going to concerts. Even better when you have a large house like me with a PA & drum kit set up. The other musicians come here.

Bad concerts? Lots of too stoned and/or drunk 60s bands. Iron Butterfly & Steppenwolf both sucked. Jefferson Starship in 1975, Grace Slick was too drunk to make it through a single song. Funniest was Golden Earring when the drummer fell off his stool during Radar Love..
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #36
spiridon
Herf God

While we're talking "worst" concerts, I would have to second the mention of Foghat and Bad Company, saw them years ago.....I think.....a very forgettable concerts.

....or perhaps it was my "state of mind".
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
mojoe
Herf God

Worst_Aerosmith in about 1981-82 at the paramount in Seattle..Everybody sounded like crap..Tyler was so stoned he could not remember the words..