Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
archmage

Best unknown artists?

Few recent posts in "Best newer artist"-thread gave me an idea to start this thread. There is great music that doesn't get ads and airtime, and that music depends on word of mouth to get known. Many times, when I've found great music, I think "Why haven't I heard of this before?" and while listening: "This is some great music, it's a shame most people will never have the opportunity to hear this." Let's share this wealth!

I'll start with three artists that come to mind:

After Crying
This Hungarian group is probably the most unknown of these three. Grouped to the progressive rock genre, there's not much rock in this, this is more like modern classical music. With instrumentation heavily based on piano, cello and horns, at times there are more modern instruments with them, like guitar, drums and synthetizers. The skills of these musicians are just awesome, and the compositions are very beautiful. The Hungarian lyrics may need some getting used to, but most of the music is instrumental.
Good album to start with: Föld és Ég

Morphine
Pretty straightforward bluesy rock'n'roll, but with a twist: The band consists of bass, drums and baritone saxophone. That's right, no guitars. Well, not much more that can be said about them, go and listen yourself. They're great. (Or were actually, as the lead member Mark Sandman died on stage few years ago )
Good album to start with: Cure for Pain

Modern Jazz Quartet
Not that unknown to jazz freaks, but outside of the jazz freaks, not too many seems to know them, and that's a shame. With vibraphone, piano, bass and drums, they play everything from lighthearted swing to sad blues. If you haven't heard MJQ, you owe yourself a listen.
Good album to start with: The (Complete) Last Concert

Now it's your turn!