Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Tabanero corona (Ybor City)

On a recent trip to Florida I scouted out hand rolled, small batch cigars from Little Havana and Ybor City. The cigar that I am reviewing here is the Tabanero corona from Ybor City.

The Tabanero corona is, well, corona sized. It has a small black label and a nice looking, velvety brown natural wrapper. The cigar lit easily and soon I was sampling its flavor. What struck me first was that the initial draws were not harsh or bitter, and they had some flavor starting to emerge from the get go. The first one third of the cigar, while flavorful, was uneventful. As I passed the one third mark, more flavors began to show themselves. Pleasant flavors. By the time it reached halfway and beyond I started getting the creamy, nutty, caramel flavors typical of good Cuban cigars. At that point in my cigar journey were I blindfolded I might have identified the cigar as a Habano. Indeed, sometimes I wonder if the small batch Ybor City and Little Havana cigars don't have a bit of Cuban firepower in them... The Cuban flavors were all over the back of my palate. By the time the cigar was reaching its end I was wishing it was a bigger cigar, as I was enjoying it so much. I took this one to that finger burning place...

Alas, all was not rosy with this cigar. The burn was its flaw. It tended to canoe and I had to do several touch-ups. I was disappointed with that as each touch up made this flavorful cigar that much smaller... However the draw was perfect, not tight, not loose and airy. Just right. Therefore I hesitate to knock it down too much for construction. I only had one of these so I cannot say that a poor burn is inherent in the brand.

Aside from the burn issues I enjoyed the cigar very much. I have to withhold a couple of points for the burn, but if it were not for that it would have reached a 90 (CA scale.) As it is I give this little flavor bomb an 88/100 and would recommend the brand with the caveat that mine had a somewhat poor burn.

I'm out.