Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Gurkha Legend

The Gurkha brand consists of over forty different lines, and when you combine that with the ridiculous blurbs and claims they make it's easy to poke fun at them. I know I have. I mean, they sell a cigar called "His Majesty's Reserve" that costs between $750-$1,200. For ONE. It's obviously a marketing ploy. In fact Gurkha itself seems to be a marketing ploy. So I decided to find out if they made decent cigars. After searching through numerous catalogs and online stores, I determined that Gurkha's flagship line (not counting the $750+ cigar) is the Legend. I bought a couple of them, about Churchill sized, and them rest for a couple of years. Last night I decided to light one up after Jeopardy. The wrapper was smooth and I was easily able to punch a hole in the head to smoke through. The pre-light aroma and taste was good and the draw seemed right on. I toasted it for a few seconds and the cigar lit easily. The first few draws were a little bit harsh and nondescript, but no different from the first few draws of 99% of the cigars out there. It's usually by the 1/4 or 1/3 mark that a cigar comes into it's own. And this Gurkha Legend did come into it's own. By 1/4 I was starting to like it and by 1/2 I was positively loving it. It had a very nice, earthy taste. If you like earthy cigars then you should like this. It's not overly complex, but when you get a cigar with a nice flavor that you are enjoying, there's no need for complexity. The rich earthy flavor hung around all the way to the "burn the fingers" stage and then I reluctantly had to put it out. Now I've goofed on Gurkha plenty of times, it's almost as if they invite you to make fun of them, but my Gurkha Legend was a fine smoke that I really enjoyed. One more thing - this was one of the best constructed cigars I have ever had. It lit so easily and stayed razor sharp straight all the way to the end, never requiring even the slightest hint of a touchup. I could even feel it before I lit it - it was packed tight with no deviations - the cigar felt the same in every spot and at first I figured that it would be a tough draw, but it was not. The construction of this cigar was as close to perfect as perfect cigar construction can be, and it burned very slowly and very cool. I could easily have gotten an hour or more out of this cigar. I don't know about Gurkha's other 40+ lines of cigars, but the Legend is a winner.

Ringo score - 8.75/10

(Note - I don't use CA's scoring system, so 8.75/10 does NOT translate to 87.5 points out of 100. I'll go all the way down to 0/10 if I have to (hope not!). 8.75 is an excellent score for me).