Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Romeo y Julieta Lancero - $1.99 net per cigar

Prologue:

I’ll see your RyJ review and raise you one NC! Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Geeezzz, that crazy $2 cigar guy has really lost it!” How can an RyJ qualify as a $2.00 cigar? Well, thanks to some of JR’s catalog deals, and some creative accounting, it can! I purchased a 25 count box of RyJ “Lancero’s” from the July/August catalog for $68.50. Now wait, you say, that’s $2.75 per cigar, and that’s without shipping! Hold on…Hold on….

Now, here’s the catch. The JR deal included a 12 count sampler free (with just S&H added). So, at a total of $73.75, including the shipping, for 37 cigars, that’s $1.99 per stick, almost exactly $2.00 per cigar! How’s that for the new math, huh? The “freebie” samplers were no slouches either, and certainly qualify to be counted into my net per cigar cost!

PRE-SMOKE:

Appearance and Construction: Score: 4 out of 5
Burn: Score: 4 out of 5
Draw: Score: 4 out of 5
Aroma: Score: 4 out of 5

Pre-Smoke Comments:

My RyJ 1875 Lancero was a 6.5 inch, 40 ring gauge, medium brown beauty, sporting a slightly coarse, and pimpled wrapper. A fine, straight, corona with a firm bunch and a slight give evenly along the length of the cigar. Sorta’ like a brown “dart” aimed right for my taste-buds!

A subtle, fragrant, aroma accompanies an easy pre-light draw that is just on the tight side of perfect. Just about what you’d expect from such a thin panatella. Generally not my first choice, as I prefer the Bully, but the relative affordability of the Lancero size sealed the deal for me when I ordered.

SMOKE:

Flavor: Score: 8 out of 10
Taste/Aftertaste: Score: 8 out of 10

Smoke Comments:

The smoke is deliciously fragrant and full, yet solidly medium-bodied. It’s almost like you’re “chewing” on the smoke with each puff. As though the flavor has a “texture” and depth to it. Fantastic blending for a domestic cigar, IMHO.

About halfway through my sample Lancero, the strength increases appropriately, as one might expect. However, the subtle spice and rich tobacco flavors are not overpowered at all. The cigar continues smooth and tasty right to the end!

SUMMARY:

Overall Quality: Score: 8 out of 10

Summary Comments:

What’s there to say about an RyJ 1875? A wonderful blend for those who like a medium bodied smoke with some subtleties and character in the flavor profile. That, and it’s all bound up in an undoubtedly medium bodied smoke that’s never bitter or harsh.

Is it the best NC cigar that $2 USD retail can (legally) buy? Well, if not, then it’s pretty damn close. Certainly, it’s a perfect illustration of what’s available to the bargain conscious, and patient cigar buyer!

FINAL RATING: 40 – 4 1/2 Stars, Outstanding