Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Review: G. L. Pease Mephisto

As this stuff is no longer available I usually feel a bit guilty pinching from the tin. It's not like I'll ever be able to replace it but, hey, tobac is for smoking, eh? This particular Pease offering is a dark blend of stoved Virginia, a generous portion of Latakia, and a small amount of Oriental. What makes it unique is that a small quantity of Jamaican rum is steamed into the blend giving it a very unique character.

The aroma from the tin is distinct, offering a delicious melange of orange pekoe, bright spice, and the dark molasses of the rum. The tobacco ranges from the tan of brown sugar to a dark oscuro and is cut and mixed evenly. This particular can bears the old grey Pease label and so is more than a few years old. Time has been kind to the blend, imparting a muted elegance to the Virginia and evening the already impressively harmonious blend.

The flavor is wonderful with big chewy mouthfuls of rich, nutty smoke brightly woven with the tang of Virginia and possessing a caramel sweetness that is never cloying or distracting. Reaching all the way across the tongue, this is one of the few English syle blends to seriously register on the sides of my tongue with a salty and sour tickle. Despite the obvious sugar present in the mixture, you have to work hard to get it to bite, and it leaves a wonderful and opulent finish. Puffing too fast changes the character of the blend, burying the Virginia and overpowering it with a coniferous woodiness and nutty texture.

Like I said, this stuff is discontinued and getting very hard to find. If you come across some you should count yourself lucky because it really is something special!