Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
IronBar
Banned

Location: Like the Bird of Paradise, I've flown up your nose.
Rush

The thread about bands that stayed around too long really got me thinking about my fav. band of all time.

Rush is without a doubt one of the best progressive / hard rock bands of all time, and I think Neil peart is without questions THE best drummer ever. However, after seeing them in concert last Summer I have to think that maybe it's time to retire.

Perhaps it was just the fact that they had a long tour, but Geddy's voice just wasn't what it used to be. All the guys are pushing 50. Can't say as I really enjoyed their latest album of cover songs from their childhood, but I did think that Vapor Trails was their best album of the last 10 years.

I don't know. I guess we'll just have to see what comes next.
IronBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Never a big Rush fan, although I absolutely love the Overture from 2112, the whole side 1 of the album.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
IronBar
Banned

Oh yeah JD. If you like that then I'd urge you to check out the song Earthshine from their Vapor Trails album. Every time I hear the opening guitar riff from that song, it instantly charges me up!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Mr. D
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
Never a big Rush fan, although I absolutely love the Overture from 2112, the whole side 1 of the album.
You bet. The problem is I just read last month they have about 12 albums that I've never heard of!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Fishin Phil
Herf God

Loved all their early stuff, and agree that they should hang it up.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
vernonator
Herf Meister

I agree that Vapor Trails was their best album in years...but as for hanging it up I disagree. I saw them when they were here (Ames IA) about 2 yrs ago now - at the start of their current touring binge and they were spectacular...everyone who went could not believe how good they sounded for a bunch of old farts......maybe they just needed to tone down the length of this tour.....
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
IronBar
Banned

I truly think the only thing that was lacking was Geddy's vocals. Otherwise the band was as tight as ever. Alex's guitar playing was flawless, Neil is still best skins basher ever, and Geddy can still fly his bass like a Navy fighter pilot.

I WAS a tad disappointed in the fact that Geddy played his Fender all night. I was really looking forward to seeing and hearing the Ricky. I AM at least glad he gave up that weak-ass Steinberger L2 bass. Those things just look silly.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
lucasbuck
Herf Meister

I'm sad to hear Geddy's voice was sub par. I hope it's not in decline. I haven't seen them for a few years but I've seen them at least a half a dozen times and they've been amazing every show. Permanent Waves is still one of my all time favorite albums
Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #9
vernonator
Herf Meister

I wonder if he was just getting tired at the end of the tour...in Ames he sounded great. I have seen hundreds of concerts and Rush rates right there in the top 5 for quality - both in the show and in just how spectacular they sound live. My only disappointment in them is that their the last 5 - 6 albums (not including Vapor Trails) have been pretty weak. I'm glad they didn't pack it up after all of Neil's personal problems of the last 5 yrs....In my book they got back what the seemed to be missing for a while there....

BTW The 2112 tour was my first concert.....damn I STILL love that album...guess I need to queue that up right now!!!!!!!
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Emmo
Club Member

Is there a pass in here some where?