Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2002, 04:17 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

My box arrived yesterday. The packaging is very nice with five horizonatal drawers of five cigars each. I received the "Mancha", approx. 5.75" by 46 ring guage.

Each cigar is individually tissue wrapped. Remove the tissue for a khaki-brown, satin textured wrapper, dry in appearance. (I discovered the wrapper is brittle, however, as I split one of the three I smoked.) Remove the tissue and you also see the dull and unimaginative band, a disappointment that is in marked contrast to the imaginative and creative packaging. This is, to many, a small thing, but it seems an odd place to cut corners. Also, the aesthetics of the band are a factor I give consideration to as part of the overall experience of smoking my cigar. Let's move on.

All three lighted easily and burned fairly evenly. The draw was perfect. Perhaps because I smoked a Gol! earlier, and because Brazilia was last year's release from CAO, I expected the Criollo to be heavier. It is not. It is a "light" smoke by comparison that I would describe as medium in body. I didn't taste any currants or leather (ala CA), but I did taste one fine cigar. A little light for my tastes (too many ISOM's), but certainly a cigar with some body and an interesting taste. It burned cooly, with a pleasing finish, and hinted at bitterness only when I was closing in on my fingers.

I am interested to contrast the Mancha to the Conquistadore, whose larger ring guage may effect the taste to some degree.

In closing, another winner from CAO. Not as likable to me as the Brazila line, but a darn fine smoke.

RATING: 87/100

"If you don't know where you're going, you could end up someplace else." - Yogi Berra