Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Broken

Notes from my first attempt at roasting

The bad news is I am sure I didn't do it right. The good news is it only gets better from here and even when it isn't 100% correct it's still damn good coffee.

I know I overdid the first roast so I roasted some more and put them in a jar to get rid of the CO2 like instructed. I knew I had a hobby for life when I smelled them the next morning, I was equally sure when I smelled the first grounds out of the grinder.

At this point I believe Starbucks should have a class action suit filed against it for mistreatment of coffee beans (or at least whatever they substitute for actual coffee beans).

So far every cup has tasted a bit different to me (using the adapter in my Keurig) and I don't know if that's a good thing but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm only roasting a few at a time which I know will get old, but it's fun for now.

I'm not going to pretend to be able to describe every flavor like you experts can but I can say so far that it's definitely a stronger/deeper coffee taste without it tasting "darker" if that makes sense.

The caffeine kick seems to be better than store bought/buying a cup at 7-11 but again that just may be me thinking it is. I imagine this is a hobby I will enjoy for some time as I drank a cup of the regular stuff yesterday just to see if I really could taste a difference after only a few days of the good stuff and it really isn't close. I won't say the store bought stuff tastes stale, but you really don't know what a fresh cup of coffee tastes like until you've had one that is less than 48 hours from bean to cup.

Certainly not cost effective, but I'm at a point in life I'm less worried about cost effective and more worried about enjoying the process.

Thanks to all who helped get me started.

Proud member of the 2007 Robusto 8
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote