Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
MaxPower
Starting Member

Salt test not working...

OK, so tell me if I am doing something stupid or if I my hygrometers are just that far off.

I had been using my wife's digital weather station in my humidor to monitor the humidity. Well, she wants it back so I went and bought another digital hygrometer/thermometer for $20 (on clearance at Target). I stuck both of them in the humidor just to see how close the readings would be. Well, the new one was reading 69% and the old one was reading 62%. The new one was closer to the humudificaion source which could be the reason for this, but I decided to salt test them both anyways.

I took 2 beercaps and filled them with salt and added just enough water to make it all damp. I then sealed the hygrometers in seperat ziploc freezer bags each with a bottlecap. After a day, they were both reading 66%. I then did the test again, with new salt and this time I put another larger ziploc around them for a double seal... they both stayed at 66%. What is the deal? Am I doing something wrong or are both of these things off by 9%?
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote