Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

My first home roast

and I have some questions. I really didn't know what I was doing b/c all the information has just been too much, so I decided to just try it. I roasted in the PopperyII courtesy of sevenmag. I put just enough beans in to cover the side vents, about the amount I thought I'd use to make 6 oz. of coffee. The beans were courtesy of my buddy tborren. They are some kind of Kenyan, gifted by a real live Kenyan co-worker or his. I started the microwave timer just to have a frame of reference. The beans went from green to that orange color just like on sweet marias. First crack was indeed unmistakable. Question one: How long does first crack last? This started, then never really intensified and lasted for about 90 seconds, starting around the 3:45- 4:00 mark. The beans then did brown up nicely. At 6:30 or so I heard what I believed was possibly second crack and unplugged it. I'm still not sure on all this city stuff, but had decided I'd try a more full roast for my first go. I poured the beans into a metal bowl to cool b/c I wasn't sure if they should cool in the popper. Mine is not set up for a cooling cycle. I've got them cooling in the bowl and will put them in tupperware shortly. Second question: I read to pinch a dark bean between your fingers. If it crumbles, its charcoal. These don't crumble, but if I press hard they crack down the middle. Normal? And next time, I think I'll head out to the garage. I smoked the heck outta the kitchen!

Thanks for the help, and thanks for answering these questions!
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote