Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Skeeter

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm especially looking at the large ones that store whole boxes.

I need something to help out with the overflow of cigars I get between now and late April, when I take delivery of my Aristocrat.

It's either this or set up a coolerdor and please....no mooch attempts
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:20 PM   #2
Hendrix
Club Member

Skeet..

I'd HAPPILY play sentry for your cigars until your Aristocrat comes in...FREE of CHARGE!

The BEST of care will be taken for them...but there may be a little "skimming" of them...LMK!
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

While they work just fine, Fuente bags are overpriced, imho. You're paying for the name. Several other brands, that work just as well, can be had for 1/2 the price.

BTW: Depending on how many boxes you need to humidify, it may be cheaper to go the coolerdor route or get another desktop 'dor rather than buy the bags which are only good for limited time (90 days?).

BTW2: Ya gonna LOVE yer Aristocrat!

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. --Mark Twain
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
Kristine
Club Member

One can never have too many coolerdors. Easy to make, easy to store, just plain easy. Coolerdor has my vote.

"Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can't get you off." ~Bill Veeck

"Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control."
~ Tom Landry

Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Ummmm, I beg to differ, oh vision of loveliness, but I have almost too many cooleridors.

Almost

I'm the Official Morro Castle Spokes Model

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
jchamb
Club Member

Late April is only about a month. Large ziploc freezer bags should do just fine for that length of time.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
mhotek

I'd also differ on the "several other brands" that work just as well. I've tested all of them. The Fuente Humidor bags get my approval. After seeing the wild fluctuations in the other ones, I wouldn't touch them. Yes, you are paying more for the name. But, you are also paying more for the Humidi-pak with has a guarantee of 6 months inside that bag and the bag which has a built in moisture barrier.

I use the Fuente Humidor bags to calibrate hygrometers because I know exactly what the environment is. Wouldn't even dream of doing that with "the other brands". I also travel extensively. My cigars used to get to the other side unsmokeable after all of the pressureize, depressurize. I tried all of the "other brands" for storage during travel as well to the same effect. Then I got a Fuente Humidor bag and everything arrived on the other side perfectly smokeable. I'm sold and wouldn't go back.

That being said, get a large Ziplock. If you want an added measure of protection or have multiple boxes, just run over to Walmart or your favorite chain store and pick up one of those large RubberMaid plastic tubs. Ziploc the boxes, stick them in the tub. Drop a small humidifier in there with them. When the Aristocrat comes in, you can empty it and store something else in the tub.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:28 PM   #8
rramstad

I've been in the exact same situation for a month. (Ordered Aristocrat M Plus, patiently waiting, got too many cigars, had to find temporary storage for some of them.)

Initially I thought I could get away with double Ziplock bagging them, but after a week, I opened up one box and found that there was a definite ammonia smell. These were mostly recent purchases from major US retailers.

Long story short, I ended up finding a large Rubbermaid storage container (about 60 qt) and putting it in with some homemade credos to regulate humidity. It's been three or so weeks and the unit seems just as reliable as my coolers.

If the cigars in question have already aged a bit, you may be able to get away with Ziploc bags, but I don't know if I'd do that for a month. Just MHO.

-- Bob
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 09:25 PM   #9
Skeeter

It's started. A nice cab of 50 '98 Bolivar CE's are, for the time being, resting in ziploc baggies, double bagged with a splash of distilled water for good measure

mhotek...I may be in contact soon with an order for some of those Fuente deals for no other reason than I believe you do this forum a service with your posts

Hendrix...when I get the chance you'll get a taste of these Boli's and you won't have to send back the butts
Old 03-31-2002, 07:21 PM   #10
Skeeter

Well I ordered some of the Fuente bags to help out with the overflow. I should have them soon and I'll post my thoughts when they arrive and have been put to the test for a few days.