Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
rockace521
Herf God

As they say on the guitar forums...

NGD!

Not today, but a couple of days ago. Local guy selling a Standard Telecaster (MIM, of course), but he'd upgraded to double-wound pickups, 3-saddle bridge, and a pearloid pickguard that I always used to think was unduly gaudy.

Too bad the pictures don't do it justice! In person it's drop-dead gorgeous. Laura wasn't especially thrilled about me getting a new guitar, but when I got home and pulled it out of the nylon carry-bag, she said, "Oh, okay," because it's just so damn SEXY. She immediately christened it the "Black Pearl," and it stuck (saves me the trouble of trying ot think of a name!). Being used to strats and flat-necked acoustics, I was rather dismayed by the curvature of the fretboard (and therfore the plane of the string surfaces) when I first played it. The second day I played it, I freakin TOOK. OFF. It's a blast to play.

Sorry for the hugeness of the images.

After playing the strat for so long, I was really amazed by the sounds that come out of this thing. The action isn't as low and the strings seem to be further apart, which took some getting used to, but on the Blues Junior...whoa baby, it sounds great. A great little bookend to finish out my humble collection.