Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Osmond
Club Member

No more Pork Butts

It is now a Boston Roast.

Also banned - Pork Chops.

"Under the new nomenclature’s reign — aimed at giving some meat cuts more razzle dazzle — a pork chop will become a ribeye chop or a porterhouse chop, while a pork butt could be known as a Boston roast. A boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak and a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Ground beef will stay ground beef."

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/04/a-...-cuts-of-meat/
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
carmine7075
Herf God

Good luck making that change around here.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'm not crazy about it. Boston butt was never a butt at all, it's the upper shoulder. A picnic ham is the bottom half of the foreleg. The one good part is that they are going to label where the cuts come from on the animal. That could be educational for the public. Now, whether the public will accept the new terms remains to be seen.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

educating the consumer in this manner is just as futile as pissing on a volcano to put it out.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I'm not crazy about it. Boston butt was never a butt at all, it's the upper shoulder. A picnic ham is the bottom half of the foreleg. The one good part is that they are going to label where the cuts come from on the animal. That could be educational for the public. Now, whether the public will accept the new terms remains to be seen.
I think it does the opposite. How much clearer can you get when the old system labeled a cut a "boneless shoulder top blade steak" or a "beef under blade boneless steak"?

In the new system that will just be a "Flatiron Steak" or a "Denver Steak", and the average consumer won't have a clue what they are actually buying. Worse, for a time it will cause unnecessary confusion for those who know what they want, but won't know the newfangled marketing jargon attached to it.

Its marketing schmooze - an effort to class up formerly cheap, unwanted cuts - nothing more. Watch the names change and the prices jump at the same time.

Last edited by carmine7075; 04-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.
carmine7075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I got news for ya. Our overseas markets for meat export are on hold with Russia and China over a little argybargy about a feed additive. Meat inventories are full. The cost of feed (because of ethanol and drought driving up corn prices) is up enough that the livestock that is being raised for two years' from now is many fewer than they used to be. Enjoy the good prices now and stock your freezers, because once that export kicks back in, prices are going to really jump for meats.

Perhaps this is meant to cushion the blow when the market forces make for a jump in prices over the next two years. I don't know.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
carmine7075
Herf God

Honestly, we should join Russia and China and demand some changes. I've read a bit about our commercial agribusiness industry, and it is not pretty.

Prices can only go as high as the market will bear, and this market doesn't have much room for increases. There are a couple of ways it could go from there.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Gamle-ged
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmond View Post

"Under the new nomenclature’s reign — aimed at giving some meat cuts more razzle dazzle — a pork chop will become a ribeye chop or a porterhouse chop, while a pork butt could be known as a Boston roast. A boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak and a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Ground beef will stay ground beef."

Sorry, I won't believe this until it's reported by the Associated Press...

What next, Gingerbread Oreos?...

"If you see yourself as a victim, you will be a victim. If you see yourself as successful, you will eventually be successful." (Roger Ailes)
Gamle-ged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Herf
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmond View Post

I'm planning on buying some boneless loin pork chops for dinner on Sunday. I wonder what they are going to call them. I saw them in the meat case tonight when I picked up my steak. The sign just said boneless pork chops. The good news is they were still an inch and a half thick.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

when all else fails, point and grunt.... ooo ooo ooooooo ahhhhh oooo yessssssss

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote