Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
MalkavianX

Newbie meer question

So, on a lark I picked up a meer pipe at an antique store while on vacation--I imagine I paid too much for it, but it's nice looking and seems so far as I can tell to be in good shape, reasonably well cared for. Outside is carved, with a grape and leaf sort of motif, nice amber stem, etc. Will post pics ASAP, right now it's sitting with the bowl full of kosher salt to pull some of the gunk out.

My question is the stem--it's a screw on sort (if I sound surprised about that does it make me a *real* meer newbie?) but it screws "past" where it should....in other words, if i screw it in tight, and put it in my mouth, the bowl will be slanted with the opening of the bowl pointing about 10 o'clock. I assume that means it was over tightened at some point or else the threads are degrading somehow--is this fixable? necessary? I doubt it's worth spending more money on something I got at a junk shop, but I'd like to at least consider getting it into good smoking condition.

My little bro also picked up a nice looking short briar carved with a dragon motif that's nice looking, will put a pic up of it as well.

Also, and I only ask this because at another shop there was a cheaper meer, that I didn't pick up for this reason: Is it normal for old meerschaum to be sticky/tacky to the touch?
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote