Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 05-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Brushy Creek BBQ cookoff this Weekend

I’m the head cook this weekend for the Copper Top Bar and grill, in the Brushy Creek BBQ cookoff. I’m turning in pintos, cooks choice (beef ribs), a bourbon brined chicken, spare ribs, and brisket. In that order lol. Pits getting lit Friday 10pm results come in Saturday at 6 pm. I placed in beans last year and that was it...there are usually 75+ teams in this cook-off.

Austin Beer Works, Good Vodka, Dickle Bourbon are sponsoring us and gave us plenty of drinks to hand out.

Will post up some pix when I have a chance...
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Looking forward to seeing that!

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
KatDad
Herf God

Sounds like a good time! Looking forward to pictures.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Mike, best to you. That sounds challenging, enjoyable, and memorable. PLEASE take notes for us, perhaps we can cobble an article out of this?!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Here, twist my arm.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Sooooo. Friday set up involved an 18’ trailer and moving my 800# offset bbq pit on there. 4 pop up tents. 8 of the biggest coolers full of donated beer sponsored beer, and a case of ‘real good’ vodka. It was all good, going smoothly..set up food prep...drinking. Then the storms hit. We’re talking sideways rain. Lightning so close you could smell the sulphur. Anyway that lasted from 10 till 2 am. The pop ups leaked a bit and the fields and parking lots were turned in to whitewater rapids and bogs but the pit held a constant 250ish.

Saturday was perfect weather for turn in and the food trailer from the copper top tavern, who I was cooking for, was 20 deep for hours till we sold out of non contest food. In case you were wondering that was 8 butts and 4 briskets....and 4 1# beef ribs @ 20$ a rib. That was my idea the tavern ow er didn’t think they would sell at that price point. 5 min later they were gone and customers were asking for more.

So how did team Copper Top do?

Out of 43 teams.......

3rd place dessert (amazeballs banana pudding)
5th place chefs choice ( shrimp brochettes)
10th place pinto beans
5th place pork spareribs

No final table or place in chicken or brisket ;(

Our sponsors were happy with the results and will more than likely up their end of the game if that is possible. This year we had 5 cases from Austin Beer Works, and another mixed 5 cases from brown beer distribution. As well as a 1/6 barrel keg of 512 ipa and a case of ‘real good’ vodka.

I’m spent....pix coming I promise
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote