Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
veritus

XiKAR XI2 China vs Germany

I found a deal on E-Bay for (2) XiKAR XI2 cutters for $49.95. (I think they bundle a lighter with it too) When I asked the seller about the origin of the cutters, he said they came from the China factory which is where all the new XI2's come from. However, for $49 each he had some German ones in a reserve. These cutters come with a full warranty from XiKAR, but I'm not sure which to go with. I was hoping for the $49.95 for two so I could give one to my brother. Since XiKAR stands behind them, would it be ok to go with the ones from China? Any opinions would be appreciated. Cheers!
veritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
jaybo41
Club Member

First of all, to CW.

There is a thread in the Smokin Post that's probably of interest to you.

http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=133835

I have an Xi with the blades from China. They work just fine, and Xikar stands behind them, so I'm not concerned about the blades. Even the blades from China cut perfectly
jaybo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
KatDad
Herf God

I wouldn't worry too much about origin as long as you are sure they are genuine xikar. Xikar customer service is the best!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
dylanh
Club Member

Don't just assume their genuine Xicar cutters though. They have fake just about everything on Ebay. I guess you'll have to trust intuition and look at the seller's ratings pretty closely to make that determination.

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way."

- Robert Frost

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

- Bob Dylan

"Hell is boiling over. Heaven is full. We're chained to the world....and we've all got to pull."

-Tom Waits
dylanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

Good Point!

Welcome to CW veritus!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Oracle
Club Member

Also keep in mind that even if you pay double to get German blades, first time you will send your cutter back to Xikar for service, they will most likely replce it with the Chinese one.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
veritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanh
Don't just assume their genuine Xicar cutters though. They have fake just about everything on Ebay. I guess you'll have to trust intuition and look at the seller's ratings pretty closely to make that determination.
Here is the auction item. It appears to be authentic, and the seller has great feedback. I've e-mailed back and forth with the seller a couple of times already. Let me know what you guys think, and thanks for the warm welcome. I can't wait to get this and stop butchering my cigars with my current cutter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
veritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
jaybo41
Club Member

If it were my dime, I'd order the ones from Famous for 19.95 per cutter and forget about Ebay. You will get the genuine article and thus Xikar's lifetime warranty.

Great comments by the other members too
jaybo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Smoker06
Herf God

There was a post by FSUScotsman about having problems with a Chinese one that wouldn't open properly when he pushed the button down.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
iminaquagmire

One of mine has German blades and one doesn't. They both perform the same. Even if they didn't, I'd have no qualms about sending one in as the service is second to none.

The ebay seller you mention is a good dealer. I've bought cases and a lighter from him in the past. He kept good communication and and sent my items in a timely manner.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote