Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #1

El Rey Del Mundo Robusto

I recently got a box of these after smoking some of the ERDM (Hon) Robusto Supremas. I loved the sweet and rounded flavors of the Robusto Suprema but I wanted it in a slightly smaller version. The robusto also seems to have recieved the best reveiws of the line.

First off, I love the tissue paper packaging. It provides the perfect contrast to the dark and oily Sumatra seed wrapper, which shows some nice tooth. Although the cap looked a little rough, it held on for the duration. Nothing can be more annoying than a seemingly perfect triple cap that starts to unravel half-way through.

So, it clipped nicely and once it was lit, quickly revealed it's creamy, chocolate flavor. The burn was a little tight for the first half inch but then it opened up and yeilded tons of thick, chewy smoke. The only thing that contrasted with the wrapper better than the tissue paper was the near perfect light grey ash, which refused to let go. The first quarter tasted a little green, which of course was my fault. I couldn't wait to smoke it for more than five minutes after recieving the box. The others will age well though, as did the Robusto Supremas I had before. Despite the initial greenness, the cigar did get smoother with every sip and it never got hot, even when I was practically smoking the embers.

I would say that the strength of this cigar is medium, bordering on mild, while the flavor is very balanced and satisfying. The deep, chocolately flavors mix beautifully with a nice tobacco core. A touch of spice enhances the notes of wood and sweet coffee that come and go. What an aroma! The finish is pleasant yet not overbearing.

The construction and burn of this cigar could not be better. I'm partial to maduros and large ring-gauge cigars, so this one ranks as one of my favorites. Plus, the price can't be beat. My new go-to cigar.