Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
jsnake
Starting Member

La Aurora Broadway Series Sumo Toro

Size: 5 3/4X54
Wrapper: (Dual) Ecuadorian Sumatra & Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Dominican Corojo
Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Peru
Price: $12.25

2010 could be characterized as a very bad year for the cigar industry in New York state. We all witnessed an insanely high tax rate of 46% soar to 75%. In response several cigar manufacturers have started making New York only cigars that are exclusively available at tobacconists in New York state. Miami Cigar & La Aurora created the Broadway Series as their effort to help the cigar industry in New York state. The 75% tax is built into the $12.25 price tag of this cigar. It is an effort to help out not only the tobacconist but the consumer as well. $12.25 is not cheap by any means but the 75% tax hike on tobacco in New York state has put many reasonable cigars into higher price ranges that your average cigar smoker can't fit into their budget on a regular basis. One can only hope that we can continue to fight these outrageous tax hikes and win some victories in New York state.

I have heard some grumblings from people about manufacturers making exclusive cigars available only to a certain market. Everyone wants those hard to find and exclusive cigars including me. You have to applaud the efforts of the manufacturers stepping up to try to do something given the difficult situation in New York state though. For your part you can check with some New York tobacconists or forum friends and I am sure you can find a way to obtain a few of these cigars.

Construction: The wrapper is slightly oily and a medium chocolate brown color. I noticed a few dark spots near the foot but that didn't take away from the appearance of this cigar. Several small and medium size veins run the length of the cigar. Overall the cigar feels evenly packed with tobacco and has a nice slight bounce back when squeezed. I can find no soft spots and I like the way this cigar feels in my hand. The cap is well done and is easily punched for this review. The cigar band is red, black, and silver with a nice city skyline. The aroma from the cigar is one of the strongest I have experienced. When I removed it from the cellophane the aroma just fills the room with wood and something sweet I can't exactly pinpoint. The foot aroma reminds me of cinnamon and a sweet hay smell. The pre-light draw is a sweet cedar and cinnamon.

First 3rd: The cigar lights well and the draw feels just right. There is an immediate smoothness with a hint of sweet butter right at the start. Nuts and cedar take over with the cedar slowly building in strength as I smoke. There is a subtle spiciness that is very enjoyable and seems to enhance the other flavors without being overpowering. The ash is white and flaky yet somehow defies logic by hanging on tight for my 1 1/2 inch mark when I knock the entire ash off in on piece. I usually go 1 1/2 inches and knock off my ash. When I try to push the limits I seem to always ash myself so 1 1/2 inches is my mark.

Second 3rd: This cigar is really smooth and creamy while bringing some really good flavors. The nutty and cedar flavor continue to grow stronger while the subtle spiciness vanishes. I am getting a ton of smoke from the cigar and the aroma in one word is delicious. Just a fantastic smelling cigar. As I get further in there is definitely a coffee flavor deciding to make an appearance.

Final 3rd: This cigar finishes with strong cedar, nutty, and coffee flavors accented with a spicy finish. The spiciness is still subtle and the cigar remains smooth an creamy to the end. Every once in a while I experienced a sweetness I couldn't really identify throughout the cigar. From start to finish the cigar had a crooked burn. It mostly corrected itself and there was only 2 touch ups needed. I would attribute this characteristic to be that of a cigar with dual wrappers. It really didn't bother me since my mind was focused on enjoying the flavors.

Final Thoughts: La Aurora has been on a roll lately with the 107 and Guillermo Leon topping it all off. I enjoyed this cigar and I am really glad I got to smoke it. If you are a fan of La Aurora I would seek these out and pick up a couple sticks. Yes the $12 price tag is high when you have so many other options but it is an exclusive cigar and very enjoyable. I think part of the goal might be to drive out of state cigar buyers to New York state tobacconists to help them increase sales. I have no problem with that. I want to support B&M shops all over the country. We have enough forces working against our hobby. If you like exclusive cigars and like La Aurora check these out. If $12 is still too pricey for you let me recommend the La Aurora 107 or Guillermo Leon.

Pictures are up at http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...sive.html#more
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote