Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Meadmaker

San Cristobal de Habana El Principe EMA JUN 08

Date of review 07-31-09
A very nice looking cigar with a caramel colored wrapper, with no apparent veins. Seems to be constructed very well, with no knots or soft spots and a perfectly formed triple cap I clip it with my Palio, thanks DED.. Prelight draw, is mildly restrictive, reflecting a densly rolled cigar, and reminds me of old leather.

I toast the foot, with my cheap torch lighter, and away we go.

First Third

Upon lighting my palate is coated with rich creamy smoke. The initial flavors are of unsweetened dark roast coffee with a bit of fresh dairy cream. It doesn’t take long, and the flavor of cream has pushed the coffee into the background and becomes the main flavor. There are also hints of white pepper lurking in the back ground along with hints of cedar, on the exhale, but a heavy cream is still the predominate flavor for the first third. There are a touch of tannins, but not as much as I expected from a cigar just over 1 year, from box code. The burn is razor sharp during the first third. The Black and gray ash holds firm until I knock it off around the end of the first third.

Second Third

During the second third, the heavy cream morphs into a caramel flavor, and notes of almonds join the white pepper in the background. The white pepper and cedar are still present when the smoke is expelled through the sinuses. Nearing the end of the second third the caramel flavor becomes richer, the pepper anc cedar are more pronounced, upon being expelled through the sinuses. Unfortunately the tannins have also kicked it up a notch. The burn starts to go a little crooked, but not enough to require a touch up.

Final Third

During the final third, the caramel flavor continues to darken, and almost morphs towards milk chocolate. Unfortunately the tannins start to overpower it, and the other flavors, and I lay the cigar to rest with about an inch and a half remaining. While not a disappointment, I will be laying the remainder down, for at least another year, before revisiting these.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)