Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
nivek
Club Member

First off, I was suprised by some of the comments but thats why we do these things! here is the ratings for cigar #1

Spiridon:Cigar #1

Aesthetics: This cigar had a smooth, dry, medium to dark brown wrapper.....almost had a "brown marbelized" look about it
Score for aesthetics: 3 of 5

Construction: Very solid feel to it with no soft spots and a nice "heft" seeming to indicate a well filled cigar.
After clipping the cap cleanly, the pre-light draw was exactly the way I like it......easy, but with a bit of resistance.
Upon lighting, I found the ash to be very firm, solid, and a very light grey(almost white). This cigar had a very "distinctive" pre-light
smell to it.....kind of made me think I may be in for a "green tasting" smoke.
Score for construction: 4 of 5

Flavor and Strength: Boy was I surprised!! This baby started out hitting on all 8 cylinders and never let up! I love the strength of this
cigar which gave me the sinus and tongue tingle that I like. If you like spicy, you need to get yourself some of these.
This cigar produced a large volume of smoke, and the Flavor/Strength ratio was very much to my liking. I would call this a Full
stength/Med-full flavored smoke......and SPICY.
The flavor and strength stayed fairly even throughout. I finally had to get my "BigO Toothpick"
to finish this baby down to the nub!
Score for flavor and strength: 5 of 5

General Comments: This cigar ROCKS! I loved it. It will be hard to "follow" this cigar as it has all the characteristics I like in a
cigar. Reminded me of an ERH or Mayorga H.O. Whoever contributed this sample.......you and I share the same tastes. I will
certainly be getting me some of these.
Overall score for the cigar: 4 of 5

Recommendation: I would Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a "kick-Ass" spicy smoke.

NatGolfer:Aesthetics: Natural wrapper, lightly veined, well constructed, nice aroma

Score: 4

Construction: Well constructed, tightly packed, very pleasing aroma prior to lighting, took
cut well, good draw - not too hard or easy, lit easily, ample volume of smoke, cigar got
significantly softer, but not spongy, after 1/2", slightly uneven burn, dark gray flaky ash,
slight "Cuban curl" to ash, held initial ash to 1 1/2"

Score: 3

Flavor and Strength:
Flavor was somewhat thin, woody, with perhaps a hint of cedar. Very one dimensional. Bitter
toward the end. Lightly metallic aftertaste.

Strength was very mild to mild. No "kick" whatsoever.

Score: 2

General comments: Perhaps a good first smoke of the day for a smoker who enjoys lighter,
milder cigars. Much too mild for my tastes. I personally wouldn't buy this cigar.

Overall score for the cigar: 3

Recommendations: Possibly recommended. Not a terrible cigar, but certainly didn't live up to
the level of construction and appearance. Overall - disappointing.

Clone-K:1 Aesthetics: 3.0 of 5.0

This was a slightly veiny maduro, with a fairly nice oily sheen. Very smooth wrapper, with a
nice looking cap. Mine had two very noticeable veins that kept it from being a very nice
little package.

2.Construction: 4 of 5

Fairly solid cigar. No soft spots that I could feel before or during the smoke. Seamed fairly
well rolled, and it had a very nice draw. Nice firm ash that was grey to black in color.
First 2/3’s of the cigar had a nearly cool draw, but the final third was warm bordering on
hot. Burnt perfectly even, all the way down.

3. Flavor and Strength: 2.5 of 5

The first third of this cigar was very good. A nice spicy and coffee flavor, with some woody
hints to boot. The middle third mellowed out quickly. It was also was very one dimensional at
this point with a pronounced coffee flavor. The final third was in a word, bad. It became
harsh with an almost nasty tobacco taste. I didn’t finish the final third because I didn’t
want it to tarnish the good experience the first half presented. But the damage was already
done.

4. General Comments: 9.5 of 15 final score

This was decent to border line good cigar up to the final third of the cigar. I liked it all
the way up to that point. It was a well constructed cigar with a beautiful maduro flavor for
the most part. I’ve never had a cigar go so quickly south on me before. The first half had me
guessing it was a Hoyo De Monterrey product. That could explain the final third. Then again I
may have just got unlucky.

5.Recommendation:

I would possibly recommend this cigar to others. If the price was right, I would have no
problem smoking one again. But if it gets bad again I would throw it away much sooner. All in
all it was a good experience.

Grinnin:Aesthetics: 4

Corona size cigar, good-looking medium/dark brown (sungrown?) or colorado maduro wrapper with a nice sheen. A couple noticeable veins,
and a funny little bump under the wrapper. Well applied cap.

Construction: 4.5

Well rolled, firm with a couple small soft spots that did not affect the burn at all. Dark grey solid ash. Excellent even burn and great draw.

Flavor and strength: Flavor 4 strength 6 on a scale of 1-5.

Slightly odd pre light smell, kind of sweet and sour. This was a potent cigar right off the bat. I am not a mild cigar wimp, and this cigar socked
me with a nicotine punch!! Intriguing flavor profile. Deep flavor with a consistently slightly sour but still pleasant tang. Some lightly roasted
coffee-like flavor came and went along with a few other flavors I could not put a name on. The smoke became predominantly toasty and
woody. Despite the strength and flavor, this cigar had a relatively short finish. I wanted a more lingering aftertaste.

General comments: (overall score 4.4)

Don’t smoke this on an empty stomach!! This is one powerful little cigar! Honestly it was a bit too much for me. I enjoyed the flavors, but
didn’t need to smoke the whole thing in order to get the bed spins and cold and sweaty. I got about 2/3- ¾ through it.

Recommendation. Definitely worth a try (recommended) if you like a lot of nicotine. The flavors are enjoyable.

Nivek already knew what this cigar was so i might be a little biased!

Aesthetics: 4.2

Very nice looking corona with a nice dark corojo wrapper, Very uniform in color with a slighty oily sheen!

Construction: 4.0

Well made solid cigar, very nice shape and beautiful cap. Great Draw and lots of smoke!

Flavor and strength: 4.0

From the start a strong peppery flavor and a Strong strenth to this cigar! It was a little one dimentional but had a nice cedary finish! This is a powerhouse not for the timid!

Overall score 4.1

General Comments: Like I said its strong, I did wish for a little more complexity but I will always have these around!

Highly recommend

And now for the totals

Aesthetics: 3, 4, 3, 4, 4.2 total 3.6

Construction: 4, 3, 4, 4.5, 4 total 3.9

Flavor/strength 5, 2, 3.2, 4.4, 4.2 total 3.7

Overall: 4, 3, 3.2, 4.4, 4.2 total 3.76

Cigar #1 was a Comacho Corojo Nationales

I was shocked that one person siad it was mild! Great reviews guys, Get #2 in as soon as possible, if you have not done so already, so i can post those too!

Moved for Nivek!

Edited by - TOJE on 04/30/2002 7:20:13 PM