Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #1
Jimdandee

Okay...so I really did not need anything from the JR fresh roll deal...but I ended up buying a bunch of stuff anyway....So this morning after Mr UPS left..I ripped open my two big boxes and started unpacking stuff.

Brewed me a fresh cup of coffee..and decided to clip a few of the new arrivals to try.

Here are my initial impressions:

The Fresh Rolls arrive in handy dandy 5 to a pak zip loc..I see Torps, Churchills, Toros, Robustos, Lonsdaes, and Coronas. Thw wraps are ranging from medium dark brown to very dark brown..some have a beautiful reddish tinge to them.
The Torp...solidly packed, perfect draw, nice bold flavors...a medium to full bodied cigar that I found the best tasting out of the 3 I clipped
The Toro..solidly packed, perfect draw, an AMAZINGLY brilliant white ash....which is very solid...the flavor profile here is toned down as compared to the Torp...a mild to medium bodied cigar... pleasant flavors.
The Robusto...a little bit soft in spots....nice draw...BUT..someone robbed the flavor profile from this cigar...it's missing completely...like smoking hot air..lol. BLAH..UGH....!!!!!
Overall..I was not too impressed with this blend in these fresh rolls based on my very early initial impressions. I was expecting something with a lot more UMPH baby.....but these don't give me that. Maybe once they are laid down to rest, they will display some more flavors...I dunno...and frankly I don't care..they were FREE... unless the tobaccos here marry very well together to create a more flavorful cigar with more umph....I won't be buying any of this new blend again. That said, I could see where guys who enjoy a milder smoke than I ..would really enjoy these. I have to assume that the robusto was just a bad one...cuz based on my Perdomo experience...these guys NEVER put out a bland cigar. In case you did not guess..I favor full throttle cigars...loaded with rich bold flavors and plenty of zip. These fresh rolls seem to have some decent flavors...but lack the ZIP i love so much. So...I conclude with a mixed result..don't know if I will like em or not....hmmmmm

Next, I sparked up a "The Cigar" Belicoso...taken from my new box which was jam packed with 40 great looking darkly wrapped beautiful cigars. This cigar was solidly packed, very well made, and drew perfectly. It has some real nice rich earthy flavors..which are straight up...not real complex...but very pleasant. Medium to full bodied...and for me..a keeper. That said, I must say...I think the Pre Embargo COunterfeit Cuban is a tastier cigar with richer and more complex flavors. But every once in a while I get the taste for a nice rich tasting maduro wrapped Beli..and this fits the bill along with a few others I keep in my humis.

I must give a big thumbs up to the JR warehouse crew once again...my order was fairly large and all over the map...not only did they get it 100% right, they packed it with great care..and it arrived bright and early..my hat is off to all the JR Warehouse gang..you guys/gals rock.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your guys impressions on these fresh rolls...