Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
ConMan
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Cohiba Siglo IV

Cohiba Siglo IV

Country of Fabrication: Cuba

Size: Corona Gorda - 5 5/8 x 46

Box Code: Unknown

Beverage: Lipton Brisk Iced T - Diet - over a full glass of melting ice.

Flavor Profile/Taste: First inch of the cigar produces volumes of rich, dense smoke. Mild in flavor. Medium finish. Vegetal. There is a sweetness, perhaps compounded by the Iced T.

Past the one inch mark sweetness is compounded. The smoke is silky but not creamy. It's smooth Spice on the tongue. The nasal exhale is one that reminds me of unbaked sugar cookie dough.

At the one third point the finish is longer, heavy on my palate. The sweetness lingers. I've no doubt that some is a product of this beverage and I'm tempted to change to water to allow the full affect of the Siglo to shine through. But the pairing is excellent, so I stay the course.

Approaching halfway. Medium. Finish is lingering but not long and thick. Ample volumes of rich intoxicating smoke. It smells wonderful. I have to slow it down. Smoking too fast. I want more of it but realize to savor, I must slow down. It's hard

Halfway point. Medium inching fuller. Stronger. Flavors consistent and not overly complex. Spice, sweet honeyed finish that is lingering. Volumes of smoke. Purged.

Past the halfway point. Still on the stronger side of medium. Spice has tempered but is still present. No doubt slowing down has had an effect. Thick finish. Lingering. Not drinking much T, this cigar is standing on it's own merits and the sweet baking spices are profound. Mouth is watering and not dry in the least. Pleasant. Rich silky thick smoke. Spice present with the nasal exhale more than the tongue.

At the final third. Strength has lessened. Grassy with a soft wood flavor, not heavy like Oak or Applewood. Spicy without the strength. Perhaps the calm before the storm of the last quarter of the stick

Final Quarter. Spice has been consistent throughout in varying degrees. Strength is back to the fuller side of medium, no doubt driven to a degree by smoking pace. Smoke is still copious, and lays thick in the air. Smooth and silky smoke.

Past the band now. As expected, strength meter is up and nic level is apparent. No doubt due to increased oils on the tobacco from the progression through the cigar. Spice dominates but smoke is still silky smooth. Finish is long and sweet like Hawaiian sugar in the raw. Definite wood, grassy vegatal tastes shining through.

Construction: Excellent. Medium brown wrapper. One distinct vein. Not "hefty" in the hand. But firm and not spongy. Perfect fill. Foot has good bunching. Excellent draw. Initial diagonal burn, probably a poor light. Burn corrected itself and the ash held firm. Solid burn.

Summary: Very little creamy properties in this cigar, which has surprised me. It's really been dominated by varying degrees of sweet honeyed flavors with underlying baking spices and sugar. Sometimes peppery but not like cayenne or cracked pepper. More mellow.

I hold the Siglo IV in a special place. It's the cigar that got me turned onto Habanos. My favorite cigar that I don't smoke nearly enough.
/5. Excellent I nubbed it
ConMan is offline   Reply With Quote