Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #14
hawkan2580
Club Member

[quote="n2advnture"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbotek

Cello off for long term - just my opinion though, everybody has a different system.

Laughs.. I use different different system called:

Cello on for long term - just my opnion though....

I don't believe that exposing cigars to air and "let them breathe" is a good thing.. I think that it certainly age them more quickly but that is not necessarily a good thing..

Same as with wine.. you keep the wines in quite airtight containers or glass bottles etc and once you open a good bottle of wine, you can let it breathe for an hour or 2. If you tried to store wine with a lot of exposure to air. the wine would mature prematurely and some of the desired nuances that can only develop over time would be lost.

So when talking cigars (as we are talking about an fermented organic product that develops over time), I think that the less exposure to air, the slower maturation, but that is sometimes not a bad thing..

Cellos are also better to keep the wrapper undamaged... also functions as a small buffer for sudden changes in humidity.. sure, humidity penetrates the wrapper but at a slower rate so if there are any fluxuations in the humidity, the cello would help smooth out the change pace.

Just my opinion though.. I mean..also define what you mean with long term ageing???? If you talking about a 1-3.. it really is not going to make much difference and you might even find a better result taking the cello off.. if you talking decades.. that's when I think you'll notice a difference.. not that I have had enough experience with comparing myself.. just looking at the physical aspects of this and other peoples experiences....