Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

The late Steve Herman, "bigguy" as he was known, posted this to alt.smokers.cigars back in 1997:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguy
Qualifications:
For many many moons I have been reading and participating in ASC learning more about cigar smoking in this last year and half than in my prior 40+ years of cigar smoking. By associating with you guys, (LHCT'96) that are lovers of the leaf, I have been able to compare my home-grown techniques of aging to what has been reported as "accepted Principles", and compare the results I have obtained verses others.

In order to confirm my results as being different from what most people expect or forecast, during 1996 I sent out about 30 to 40 cigar packages to various ASC'ers that contained BOTH aged Cubans and Aged Legals (only very good brands aged 2 to 6 years, with occasionally some 10+ yrs), as gifts, but for me as "tests". You see, I have never had any smoking buddys' in my household so I've always been a solitary smoker at home. Thus, I never knew how really good they were except, I loved em and thought the smoke was like a solid piece of the most delicious food, each brand a different flavor, and I began to inhale them with absolutely no problem, (which I can NEVER do with a fresh cigar from a new box). So I never smoke any cigar that has not been aged!

Prior to the Cuban Embargo, Aging cigars (Cubans) was never needed, since the Cubans never sent cigars to market unless they were aged properly, and neither did the USA manufacturers. At the time of the embargo, all people in USA who wanted Cubans, had to buy up all the stock of their brands as possible and store them somewhere without ruining them.

I bought 40 boxes of my favoites with absolutely no knowledge of what to do next. The best cigar stores began to store cigars prepurchased by their patrons in the store's humidors. (Note: the English had been doing this for years, already).

So I started to learn by trial and error how to store, and coincidently, age cigars, since there was NO KNOWLEDGE/need? of this in the Marketplace.

Then I began to travel overseas and found my favorite Cubans easily available by box, which I began to bring home to resupply my inventory. Since I traveled irregularly, I had to buy them whenever I saw them resulting, in time, in a huge over-inventory position which placed a burden on me to figure out the storage/aging thing properly or I would loose a big investment. So I began collecting humidors and created a Closetador, AND SAVING ALL THE CEDAR sheets and boxes, which I couldn't get in USA, easily.

Well I Did finally figure it out, with superb results!

By now I have heard from everybody I have sent cigars to, and they all have reported that they have never smoked a cigar like the aged ones and have only had the most terrific,(in some cases, once in a lifetime) cigar smoking experiences.

So, based on my work in aging, these are the Characteristics that I KNOW EMPIRICALLY, are absolutely correct for certain cigars that lend themselves to 2 to 6 years of aging, improving exponentially when compared to their taste at time of purchase. I have confirmed my results with several World renown tobacconicts in ENGLAND who have been aging Cuban cigars these last 60 to 100 years.

Long term aging.....2 to 6 years or more.
1. Loses all excess oils, and now mixed properly
2. Reduced nicotine to almost zero.
3. no tars
4. Very Firm (cigars shrink by about 20 to 30% in girth).
5. always burns evenly
6. extremely smooth and velvety
7. incredible intensity of flavors
8. ability to smoke till it burns yr lips
9. Flavor always improves as you smoke it down
10 always lights easily and properly
11. never plugged
12 Heavenly, always fuller bodied then when fresh
13 Never, Never harsh
14 taste always enhanced by food or drink

IMHO, you need high quality cigars preferably with medium to heavy strength tobaccos be they Cuban, Dom, Hond, Nic, anywhere. All cigars will improve somewhat depending on your taste and it's content, if aged from 3 mos to one year. Maduros will age well too depending on what's inside. Mild cigars have a much shorter "good taste life Span". Test smoking will tell you when. Sample the batch each month. No cello on, nor do I mix brands (I separate them with a piece of cedar) when I am doing long term aging. I use only "Spanish Cedar' as do the Cubans for 400+ years.

IMHO cedar layer and cocooning enhances and protects the aging process and "cello on" "Adds no Value". After about two or three years cedar loses its characteristic odor/flavor and functions as a moisture/and oil management system as well as bug inhibitor.

I alway save all cedar sheets, boxes and metal tubes w/cedar inside (which makes the BEST individual travelador). When I carry a pocket full of cigars I always have a alligator cigar case, (I collect them too) with a cedar sheath inside each tube to protect the cigars. I never transport a cigar in its naked state but always protected by cedar...and they are always unscathed and fresh.

Now guys I don't care what your Urban cigar legends (shopkeepers/salesmen TYBC) say in contrast with these views, nor do I give a rat's ass about your own personal theories, nor any one else in print. I did it my way and It works after much trial and error, then I researched it in England with the pro's and then confirmed it with taste tests of the most respected ASC'ers.

You try it for 20+ years and then you too can Join the "I know how to Age Em good" CLUB and then send a ton of cigars out to ASC'ers to test, with me first should I still be around. I sent out about 500.

Maybe I can become an ASC legend after I'm gone (TYSS)

Bigguy
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote