Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 AM   #15
hawkan2580
Club Member

I have had similar problems... I live in a climate zone where the humidity is regularly in the mid 80s... seldom under 75 and want to keep my cigars at 63-65%.... I identified my problem to two things....
One.. I open the bloody door too often to grab a cigar out.. letting new humid air in... (3 -4 times a day that is)...
2 The seal of the cabinet doors were not tight enough to keep the moisture out ... read up on the thread with the lamp test.. and conduct that...

My solution was to firstly get myself a small desktop humi without any credo or anything... more like a dry box with extra cedar inside where I keep supply for about 2-3 days of cigars.. thus preventing myself from opening the cabinet door too often.
Secondly.. I fixed the seal with some weatherstrips/cedar strips and stronger magnets on the doors of the cabinet.. now I don't have much or the problem.. occassionally I get a humidity influx.. mainly when receiving heaps of singles/boxes and having to re-organize the whole setup to try to find more space as the door then is open for an extended time... (just in the process of starting to build a mega sized thermoelectric cooled cabinet with accumonitor setup.. 120 boxes and 600 singles so that'll solve that problem for a while..especially since I'm keeping the current cab too he he)..

The last resort would be to use pg solution mixed approx 65% pg and 35% water.. the pg will draw back the humidity from the air.. don't like that solution (no pun intended) as the humidity have a tendency to never really get stable.. or it is hard and demands a lot of maintanence to get the mixture right.. so I would rather try the dry beads and fix the seal....

Basically, if the humidor has it's own environment, closed seals and no external influences on the climate inside.. things should stabelize fairly quicly with the dry humi beads.. the problem is when you let the outside air/temp effect what's happening inside... you'd need to really have a lot of cigar coming at one time to make much of a difference if you have enough spanish cedar already in the humidor... (it acts like a buffer for humidity fluxuation)....

best of luck and let us know how you go