Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2022, 06:06 PM   #1
Catdeddy
Herf Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jackson, Mississippi USA
Posts: 5,550
Newby here. Need advice.

What is the best way to light a cigar:

Using a torch lighter--

Should I hold the cigar still and move the lighter around.........

OR

Should I hold the lighter still and move the cigar around?

What works best?
__________________
Smoke a cigar and make a great day better.
Catdeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:35 AM   #2
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member
 
stogie5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Slidell, LA CSA
Posts: 4,370
you should hold your lighter rigid and move your whole head in figure 8's.


You're welcome.
__________________
"I'd smoke in my sleep if'n I could get somebody to hold 'em!" - Brother Dave Gardner
stogie5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
tonycsmoke
Club Member
 
tonycsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 2,890
The best way is to toast the foot. Hold the cigar in your hand, with the torch lighter hold it a few inches away. Bring the two together until the flame touches the end of the cigar. Toast the end and then bring it to your lips and light that sucker up. That usually get it burning evenly.

Of course sometimes I'm just plain lazy and light that bastard up. Sometimes I want that ritual and sometimes I just want to smoke a cigar.
__________________
"Homer, slow down you'll kill us" yelled Marge. "Or die trying" exclaimed Homer.
tonycsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God
 
Rob G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Camillus, NY
Posts: 15,872
Newby? You've been a member of the group for over 20 years.
__________________
Rob

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
Catdeddy
Herf Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jackson, Mississippi USA
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Newby? You've been a member of the group for over 20 years.


Just the wanderings of a weak mind.

__________________
Smoke a cigar and make a great day better.
Catdeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:44 PM   #6
Catdeddy
Herf Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jackson, Mississippi USA
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
The best way is to toast the foot. Hold the cigar in your hand, with the torch lighter hold it a few inches away. Bring the two together until the flame touches the end of the cigar. Toast the end and then bring it to your lips and light that sucker up. That usually get it burning evenly.

Of course sometimes I'm just plain lazy and light that bastard up. Sometimes I want that ritual and sometimes I just want to smoke a cigar.
I have tried it both ways--moving the lighter OR moving the cigar. I've even tried it doing both in the same cigar--first move the cigar, then move the lighter.

I can't tell a difference.

What am I doing wrong?
__________________
Smoke a cigar and make a great day better.
Catdeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:21 AM   #7
Bayouboy
Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the wrong side of the bayou
Posts: 1,087
Did no one watch Hellboy , or read The Great Book of Cigars. ??. Use a damn match.
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and they is us"..Pogo


"feeling stupid !? I know I am"....the great Homer Simpson..
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:10 AM   #8
tonycsmoke
Club Member
 
tonycsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdeddy View Post
I have tried it both ways--moving the lighter OR moving the cigar. I've even tried it doing both in the same cigar--first move the cigar, then move the lighter.

I can't tell a difference.

What am I doing wrong?
Try holding the cigar and lighter perfectly still and just move your head. At least on paper is the most effective way.
__________________
"Homer, slow down you'll kill us" yelled Marge. "Or die trying" exclaimed Homer.
tonycsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #9
Catdeddy
Herf Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jackson, Mississippi USA
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
you should hold your lighter rigid and move your whole head in figure 8's.


You're welcome.
You know I've had a crick in my neck for over a year.
__________________
Smoke a cigar and make a great day better.
Catdeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God
 
TommyBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 85,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdeddy View Post
You know I've had a crick in my neck for over a year.
Best way to get rid of it.
__________________

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+


TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theres A New Newby In Town curtin1 Cigar Talk 30 07-28-2003 04:14 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:27 PM.