Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
Shooter
Club Member

I've heard so many good things about the Calton cases from Canada that I splurged the other day and bought one. I'm going on vacation in a few days and in the past I'd always been lucky enough to carry-on my Taylor. These days I don't think I'd be so lucky so I invested in a Calton and will let it ride with other luggage.

Anyone have experience with these cases and whether they truly can go below and still keep your guitar from getting trashed?

Thanks,
Shooter
Old 03-20-2002, 10:48 PM   #2
markk

I've had done it a several times. My case is now really beat up but the guitar was alway fine. One time a latch got bent. If you care about how the case looks then get a Climate Case cover (it's padded).

BTW, only check it if it's the deluxe model (2-layer) and be sure to lock all five locks. I wouldn't trust a good guitar in the standard model.

Here's a tip - surround the headstock with newspaper or bubble wrap as described at http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi.../packing1.html

Edited by - markk on 03/20/2002 11:52:27 PM
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:51 PM   #3
markk

Check this out if that other link won't work: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

Scroll down a bit to the General Maintenance section and click the Packing For Travel link.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:26 AM   #4
mannish
Herf God

Loosen the strings and PRAY. I would NEVER, EVER check a guitar that nice. Calton cases are good but still no way. I took a cheap Stella with me last time I flew. No way. When we were going to Jamaica we saw the baggage people toss a guitar on the little cart that carries it to the plane and the guitar fell off the other side. I'm sure you'll be OK, but I wouldn't even consider my nice guitars being baggage checked. Mine are from the 1930's so maybe because I can not replace them has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
markk

Yeah, an irreplacable guitar is a different matter. OTOH, almost every guitar gets shipped sometime in it's life.

I've shipped my best guitar via FedEx/insured to Guitar Kamp 'cause I didn't want to check it through. I think it cost forty-something dollars but the peace of mind was worth it. Shooter, you may want to consider that option if someone will be there to take delivery.

Also, I've shipped my Taylor (which are sturdy guitars) many times in it's original box - so much that the box is now made of duct tape. Never had a problem but I packed it very well.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:31 PM   #6
mannish
Herf God

true I have shipped many nice guitars even with UPS with no problems. Good idea. When I saw a vintage guitar I was interested in that was my plan to ship it home not baggage check it.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:13 PM   #7
Shooter
Club Member

Thanks very much for the tips folks.

Keep strummin,

Shooter
Old 04-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #8
Shooter
Club Member

Just a follow-up... Both I, and my Taylor returned safely from Hawaii. The Calton Deluxe case I picked up is superb. Yes, a bit scratched, but how nice to just "let it go through" and know it's secure.

Like countless others, I too can now recommend Calton guitar cases!

Aloha,
--Shooter