Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I know nothing about buying wine in Ohio. But if you cannot find unoaked Chardonnay or balanced Chardonnay (meaning the oak adds flavor and texture but does not become the only flavor) then it would seem, somewhat logically, that your decision is made for you and you need to thing white wines which are not normally oaked... pinot griggio, pinot gris (which pairs well with cigars I think), albarino, Spanish affordable whites (which often age in stainless steel), dry Riesling (Australia has some good stuff at affordable prices)... albarino... and sauv blnac. My knock on sauv blanc is it too often is a gooseberry bomb, and suffers of the same lack of balance as amnay a Chard.

I have discovered a lot about what I like and dont like by simply buying bottles of wine to try. Not scientific, but effective.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
I have discovered a lot about what I like and don't like by simply buying bottles of wine to try. Not scientific, but effective.
Agree. This is really the only sure-fire way to discover new wines that YOU like. It's one thing to rely on so-called 'experts' in order to find the 'good stuff'. But who's to say that your taste buds will align with their's?

Another point... Do your local wine and liquor purveyors offer tastings? These are excellent for widening your wine exposure without breaking the bank and ending up with too many dud bottles at home.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

By the way... Just opened an 'old' favourite last night to pair alongside a cold-cut and cheese supper... Black Tie Riesling/Pinot Gris 2018 from the Pfaff cooperative in Alsace. A deliciously refreshing wine with an off-dry finish at a very fair price.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #14
N8DCJ
Club Member

I appreciate all the input, I am in the mode of buy something and see...

Tomorrow I will take a picture of the white wine section and post it, see, what you guys recommend...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #15
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

you might try the wine spot in Cleveland Heights

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
N8DCJ
Club Member

Hah, I forgot about taking picture....

I thought about it in the morning, but, by the time I got to Kroger, that memory was lost...

Update...

Per grtrx suggestion , I moved on to others as well, stumbled onto yellowtail pinot grigio, it's not bad, probably the best of the budget bottles I have had, so will be my go to for now, I will continue to experiment with whites, until weather turns, then back to reds, that will be fun over the winter...

GR, I will look up the wine spot... Thanks for heads up sir...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #17
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

enjoy the journey

Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
N8DCJ
Club Member

Lately been into Dark Horse Pinot Grigio

$7/bottle

Dan
Old 09-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #19
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

DWYL LWYD

Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
beevod
Herf God

Welsh is such a lovely language.