Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Best Whiskey in the World

I post this without reading in detail, hard to imagine McKenna is the best (it is good but it is young Elijah Craig I think. Any who argue amongst yourselves:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredmin.../#301304d06d3a

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I can't judge that one. I know which ones I like best.

Every time you think you've become too cynical, the world finds a way to teach you that the real problem is that you haven't become cynical enough

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Sic transit whatever.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
At this point in the day, my notes aren’t as articulate as they were at 10 a.m. I wrote, “good stuff.”
No kidding!

Just one more reason to take the results of such competitions with a dram of salt.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I am leery of any pay to enter contest and anything where influencers seem to be working as much for their own interest as for true and clear ratings.

perhaps McKenna was the best whiskey in the wold entered in this challenge rather than the best whiskey on the world.

Of note though was the rater saying some scotches were very good but likely were overwhelmed by other scotches that had in your face flavor profiles (I would think over peated whiskey would score well in these ratings since the flavors persist).

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I think "persist" is a very polite descriptor. Last time I had a glass of "good" Scotch, it was so heavily peated that I was still tasting it a few days later. Ardbeg and Peat Monster are very heavily peated. Some people like that, I'm not as big a fan of it as I once was.

Every time you think you've become too cynical, the world finds a way to teach you that the real problem is that you haven't become cynical enough

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Sic transit whatever.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

You guys will remember when the jr ultimate was labeled as winning grand good medals at the monde competition? Again, a pair review thing that only judged a product on its own merit. We all know that the ult was good but the award was bought.

Quote:
In 2015, 2595 of the 2952 participating products (87.9%) received an award. More than half received a score of Gold or Grand Gold
the only Current candidate was just a brand of Chinese cigarettes.

Sam Adams registers their stuff.

'Because, this is the internet and they are people'
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
solomr2
Herf Meister

Best Whiskey in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I think "persist" is a very polite descriptor. Last time I had a glass of "good" Scotch, it was so heavily peated that I was still tasting it a few days later. Ardbeg and Peat Monster are very heavily peated. Some people like that, I'm not as big a fan of it as I once was.

I went to an ardbeg tasting a month ago at a local B&M, and was quite pleased with the variety of scotches they put out, from slightly to very, very smoky. The 10 and Uigeadail were best to my taste buds, and the Corryvreckan was a bit over the top, but I could picture myself having a taste of it now and then.

I’m still very impressed with the Benromach 10YO, it has a slightly smoky flavor, but a more traditional Speyside profile. Maybe that would suit you better than the Islas.

I hope the PayPal was just a harmless hoax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by solomr2; 04-02-2019 at 04:22 AM.
solomr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
...very good but likely were overwhelmed by other scotches that had in your face flavor profiles...
The sheer intensity of some spirits can indeed often be a significant factor in influencing the outcome of such competitions, with subtlety and complexity ending up playing second fiddle. And, as stated above, palates also do tend to 'tire' over the course of extended tasting competitions.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
The sheer intensity of some spirits can indeed often be a significant factor in influencing the outcome of such competitions, with subtlety and complexity ending up playing second fiddle.
Excellent point.

While many nuances in a spirit are beyond my palate, this may be one of the reasons I find myself enjoying more Irish whiskeys lately. IMO they tend to be more subtle.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote