Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
archmage

I don't know if you mean the real DVD-A discs, or regular DVD video discs with music performances in them, but this applies to both. Most of the 5.1 mixes of music are horrible. Sometimes the instruments are divided to all channels, or at least at some point some instrument sounds from the rear speakers. Faithful to live performance, eh? In worst case there is one singer in each speaker... Same problem goes with many multichannel SACD discs.

On top of all this, the availability of recordings in DVD-A and SACD are poor, and they're more expensive than cds, and they need a player that supports them. Not for me, I say, at least not yet. Good multichannel mix, where the rear channels bring the acoustic echo of the recording space, are enjoyable to listen, but there aren't many available.

So you might want to consider if you wish instruments bouncing around the room before buying.

(These are comments of an audio nut, who is not very home theater oriented. This might change, but at the moment to me music system equals high quality two channel system.)
archmage is offline   Reply With Quote