Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
sd_smoker
Club Member

Why mainstream music sucks dong...

This is a fascinating read, especially for musicians/pro-audio types. Even if your just a music nut, I think you'll find this highly entertaining. Fair warning though, it is long and extremely addicting. I'll let the following text introduce you to it. This was written by someone on another board I lurk at:

This is sort of old news in the pro audio world, but haven't seen it discussed here, so figured I'd point it out for serious music fans with spare time.

Over several months last year, a guy calling himself MIXERMAN posted a series of diary entries on a well visited recording/sound forum over on prosoundweb.com. MIXERMAN was supposedly working on a huge budget project with some up and coming band that had been the subject of a major label bidding war. He documented to the moronic goings on of the studio, the band, the producer, the label, and often himself.

While there is really no way to know if this series of articles is real or fiction, the series has struck such a chord in that world because every single piece in the diaries could have happened-- and even if MIXERMAN's stories are not true-- they most certanly are a composite of stories that have actually happened.

This series is real long, and occurred over several months last summer. I would encourage anyone who is remotely interested in music, especially "popular" radio music, to start reading these- it might give you a bit of a glimpse into how the stuff really goes down.

Oh, and one note that will help this make sense:
ALSIHAD is another word for “Protools”, the Digidesign Digital Audio Workstation that most professional engineers use at the “LA rock” level. There is an open disdain for Protools in some segments of the industry, and thus it has been dubbed in the pro audio discussion forum world as “Alsihad”, as in “I didn’t have a tape amchine, so I used alls-I-had.”

Here's a link to the beginning of the diary:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/mm/week1/mm.php

If you read everything at the above link, the story is continued at the following: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewto...9da25c9d4a5878
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote