Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

La Reloba Selección Mexico robusto

Good evening, sports fans, it's time for another "outdated" cigar review. I beg the indulgence of those who would rather not have to endure my scribblings as if I'm covering new ground, four or five years late. It seems the only writing I can manage is a review while I actually smoke. Now, in my "research" on this cigar, all dates I see, point to a 2011 release, however, I am also seeing some 2014 dates as well. "Brand makeover" I read somewhere? "New look" and what have you.

One bit of ad copy says that this is Don Pepin Garcia's most full-bodied and complex La Reloba ever. Well, I just lit this cigar, it is a robusto with measurements of 5" x 50, it's a nice size. The wrapper leaf is deep and appealing to behold. I feel, more than see a couple significant veins in the leaf, enough to make an impression on the band. That capa is Mexican San Andrés, cloaking Nicaraguan binder and filler.

It lights on one match. One. And immediately I perceive that I'm almost drinking this cigar out of a mug. The main flavor is good, strong, dark-roast coffee, while the finish is a bit more refined with a bit of leather character to go with my coffee. I love it here at the beginning of our time together.

Let's have a look at this guy, shall we?
Perhaps, not. Google Photos not cooperating with a working link.

You folks know the drill, you will see a couple edits in a bit, if you're actually paying any attention on Friday night.

Edit #1
I am part way into this, it's a short robusto, so it's going quicker than some other cigars, might. The coffee and leather is still strong, but there's a bit of sweetness that many regard as a Don Pepín trademark, now creeping into the flavor, and it's really quite pleasing. So, too, is a slight breeze that has a touch of coolness. So far, this summer, the nights have been unusually mild and refreshing.

Edit #2
It is finished. The slight nub of what was a great cigar, now rests in my ash tray.I nearly burned my fingers on the last draw before I let it expire. The finish is a little bit vegetal and earthy-sweet. Thank you, My Father for a most pleasant evening.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 06-24-2016 at 07:20 PM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote