Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2002, 05:24 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

This is the largest of LGC's Series "R" line at 58x7. To the best of my knowledge it is available only in the Natural wrapper.

LGC Series "R" is one of my go-to smokes. I prefer the #5 in Maduro, but have smoked the #4 and #6 frequently. This was my first #7, a cigar I have had in the humidor for 4 or 5 months. As I had a long drive ahead of me yesterday, I took it out for the ride.

It was a well-constructed, with a smooth, even wrapper and no soft spots. Despite the large ring guage, it lighted easily and burned evenly throughout. The taste - though lighter than the Maduro I am used to, as can be expected - was pleasant, and the finish very nice.

I do have a couple of criticisms, however. Perhaps as a consequence of its size, I found this cigar to have a very loose draw and, as a result, to be rather quick burning. I do not think it lasted any longer than a #5 in the same line, which is a significantly smaller cigar. As previously mentioned, the taste was light - I would be hard pressed to describe this as even medium in body, and thus it would not be to the tatstes of many, myself included. Finally, the trend to make cigars of this size aside, I find them uncomfortable to smoke, and that detracts from the overall experience. (Even the CAO Amazon, which has none of this cigar's faults, is awkward to smoke, though it's a little smaller than the #7.)

To conclude, this is a cigar with many fine qualities I would be happy to smoke again. However, I would suugest passing it over in favor of its smaller brethren if given the chance. Again, I would recommend the #4 and #5 in the Maduro wrapper to all who have yet to try them.

Give me ambiguity ... or, ehhh ... give me something else!