Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Tabanero Sungrown Robusto

The second of two cigars that I got from a local (Ybor City) cigar factory.

Like the first cigar there is some good heft to it, construction was solid and felt very tight. The wrapper was a magnificent shade of dark mocha brown with a very oily sheen, the one tiny sunspot near the foot was the only thing that marred the wrapper. The smell was tobacco with a tangy undertone (sungrown!). Clipped the head and took a draw, still a little tight but again I could tell it wouldn’t be a problem.

Upon lighting the cigar there was a wet, green, bitter taste like it was over humidified even though it had been in my dry box for 2 days. This lasted for the first quarter of an inch. While I was considering whether to toss it or not it mellowed out and seemed to just go flat. Now I was worried that I had gotten a dog rocket but figured I could at least work through half of it as long as it did not take a turn for the worse again. After another quarter of an inch the flavors started to pick up. There was a sweet spicy flavor coupled with an undercurrent of the traditional tangy sungrown flavor that I enjoy very much. Occasional there were citrus flavors, more leaning towards oranges but they went as fast as they came. I did not nub this one due to lack of time but there was only an inch left when I put her down to rest for the last time. Overall the flavors were not that strong but not mild enough to disappoint even though I was wanting more.

Again overall the cigar warrants a closer look and I will get a fiver or two to put down for a year to see if there are any changes. Also as before the construction and burn was spot on with the cigar ash fall off on its own after about two inches. The two Tabanero were the first fresh rolled cigars that I have had in a very long time, so I may be expecting too much from them. I do see potential in them and lean towards the Sungrown more even though it started out a little rough.

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote