Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
Polestar
Club Member

Punch Gran Puro Rancho

Ultimately, I just couldn't enjoy the Punch Gran Puro Rancho.

It's a beautiful looking 5.5x54 rock solid cigar with a fine oily sheen on a smooth dark wrapper. The thing looks edible. The draw was free and the burn was good, producing copious smoke. And it's got plenty of strength throughout to at least maintain a modicum of interest. But I kept expecting something in the way of distinctive flavor. At best it seemed to have a flat cedary tone and seemed dry tasting and woody. Reminded me of criollos, which tend to leave me cold. Its looks had me drooling. But it just, for me, didn't deliver on expectations. Granted, this was my first and it may have been a fluke. I haven't seen much talk about these here, so it makes me wonder.

Btw, I thoroughly enjoy the standard and Gran Cru Punch lines. That only added to the degree of disappointment.
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
trout

...while i do not enjoy the std and gran cru, i happened to have liked the 2 gran puros i have had.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
rkm

I had a better experience with the Rancho. I got big flavor and upper-mid strength from it. But I just haven't been motivated enough to pick up a box. I guess it's because I already have so many that I like equally well (Camacho SLR and Corojo, CAO Brazilia, Torano Exodus, etc. etc.)
rkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
ColbyPants

Hmmm odd. I am sorry that youre expectations were not met. these have been on my short list for a box purchase for a while. Mmm mm good with loads of flavor IMHO.

Ah well,

TomC

"What do you expect me to die of, Old Age?!"
ColbyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
Polestar
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyPants
Hmmm odd. I am sorry that youre expectations were not met. these have been on my short list for a box purchase for a while. Mmm mm good with loads of flavor IMHO.

Ah well,

TomC
Tom, I've since tried another of the Ranchos and came away with the same impressions. But I seem to be clearly in the minority on these. I expect to try some other sizes. They really are good looking cigars and I want to give them every opportunity to hook me.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:26 AM   #6
tmdeguy
Club Member

I want to give them every opportunity to hook me.

Mike...you have ODO BIG TIME!!!
tmdeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:49 AM   #7
Polestar
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdeguy
I want to give them every opportunity to hook me.

Mike...you have ODO BIG TIME!!!
You weren't supposed to see that!!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
Linn
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyPants

Ah well,

TomC
I'm with you Tom! I bought a box of the churchill sized Serrias when they first came out. Put 'em into the humi' straight away for a month, and then tried one. Very peppery/spicey smoke, but still lacking the kind of finese that only additional age can bring. I smoked another one after three months and they are really begining to come around. I am thinking that these 'gars simply need a year or so in the 'dor. Just as in whiskey there is no substitute for years in the barrel so it is with cigars in the wood. I only wish that I could afford to keep several years worth of smokes aging at all times. I am working on it.

- Linn -
Old 02-15-2004, 06:19 AM   #9
moob
Herf Meister

I had one last week from a sampler my wife gave me for Christmas - something like modern legends - also had a mac., El Rico Habano, and a couple of others.

I had an identical experience to Polestar. Great burn and draw. Medium to full body. Lovely wrapper. But lacked any complexity to vault it into a great cigar category and as a consequence I would not place a high value on it for the price. Especially when you can get a box of MMMM in maddies for 45$ and have IMHO all of the above with distinctive flavor changes... a much better value.

I think I like the regular Punch line better. When a brand attempts to distinguish itself with hype , i.e. "Gran" or "Reserva" or estate selection etc.. whatever, and it doesn't live up to your personal expectation of what that might mean then the special band and box/packaging and lovely use of branding language makes it a "pretender" cigar. A most subjective statement that last line but the Grand Cru falls into that category for me.