Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
MikeVF

Advanced LE V review

Well miracles never cease, the UPS guy was actually early and dropped off my box of LE V's early this evening. I have since fired one up. Like many recent JR shipments this one seems to have been dispatched a tad over humidified. I don't have a real problem with this as it beats the alternative but it does lead to complications when smoking one right OTT.

Anyway, some quick background on my tastes. In general I like Villazon offerings - especially in the darker wrappers. Previously I have really enjoyed the LE series I, II, & III. I did not like series IV at all. Now to the review.

Packaging: box of 20
Dimensions: 6.12 x 50 Parejo

Wrapper Color: Oscuro - very black with a slight red hue

Overall Appearance & Construction: The wrapper was uniformly dark with no visible defects and was slightly oily to the touch. No soft spots or other defects were apparent to the the touch. Cap and foot seemed perfectly constructed.

Pre-light aroma: The bouquet was a mixture of spice and rich earth. Reminded me of early summer mornings in the garden.

Pre-light draw: Was clear with moderate resistance. Even unlit the taste of Pepper and Leather was abundantly clear.

Combustion: From the initial light to finish it burned evenly and held a long ash. I intentionlly tried to keep it cool by smoking it at a restrained pace and it stayed lit with no touchups or relights required. Smoke volume was prodigous and it hung heavily in the air.

Draw: Remained consistent and pleasant throughout.

Post-light aroma: As soon as flame touched foot the pungent smell of crushed peppercorns wafted up to greet me. After the first 1/3rd it changed to damp earth (not entirely pleasant) until about 1/2 way through when it changed again to spicy cedar.

Taste -

Front palate: The first 1/3 was all pepper and leather. Not overly complex but still mighty tasty.

Mid palate: The middle 1/3 is where it got really interesting with earthy tobacco flavors blended with honey and hits of spice.

Back Palate: In the final 1/3 the spice was becoming more pronounced with woodsie undertones when it started to turn acrid. I attribute this off taste acridness to being over humidified. I did manage to finish it without complaint but the flavors were mostly lost by the time I nubbed it. If given time to dry out properly it should continue to develop a more normal flavor.

Body: Definitely on the fuller side of medium-full.

Summary: This was an all around good smoke. If given time to set up a bit in a dry box it has the potential to be great.

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
MikeVF is offline   Reply With Quote