Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Certifried
Club Member

Onyx reserve (newbie review)

Well, here we go. My first review here. I've only ever done one other review, and that was more on my first "real" cigar experience. Bear with me please.

This was from a bomb sent by ElkTwin with a note that reviews were required

A very dark wrapper (oooh, I love these maduros so much already). It's squarish, box pressed it seems to be called. A very "firm" stick. The smell from it is delicious! The pre-light draw is tasty and firm, with a hint of leathery? taste.

The draw is indeed firm, I'm working with a crappy punch (zino cutter on the way) so I punched the hole a bit bigger. The draw was still pretty firm. I like firm draws, but this was almost too firm for me (my smoke sucking muscles are still being developed )

The first inch was very good, I've had some other cigars that were quite spicy at first and mellowed out after an inch. This was delicious right from the start! I'm not so good with the flavors yet, but the Onyx had a "leathery" taste to it. Leather is a flavor I seem to get alot. Now I've seen some people say they wouldn't want to taste leather in a cigar but I have to admit that I "tasted" alot of things as a kid. Leather was something I seemed to chew on alot when younger and I like leather

The onyx produced a good amount of smoke I like alot of smoke. The flavor mellowed out a bit after the first inch and a half. About two inches in I got BLASTED with my first real chocolate taste VERY GOOD! Wow! that was great

With about 1 1/2 inches left it went out That's a newbie problem I have sometimes, I guess I don't smoke them fast enough sometimes. After a relight, I continued my enjoyment of this delicious cigar. The leather/chocolate flavors continued down until I nearly burnt my fingers. Does anyone else think of some flavors as "dark"? I like the flavor I associate with "dark" and this had alot of it

Overall, a very good smoke, one that I plan on getting alot more of. Thank you very much ElkTwin! That was great