Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
SamGuss

Cohiba Siglo VI

Well it’s been a couple weeks coming. I received two Cohiba Siglo VI’s from a friend a couple weeks ago that have been resting and I finally torched one last night. A bottle of water accompanied the cigar and I used a V-cutter to prepare the stogie.

Normally I have no problem “describing” a cigar but the Cohiba Siglo VI was difficult for me and a hard review for me to write. John, a fellow reviewer I think has made a masterpiece of the review world with his description of his experience with this cigar.

The pre-lit fragrance of this cigar reminded me of sweet cream and light leather. The tastes as I lit this cigar remained the same as the odor. My first reaction was that this was a pleasant but 1-dimensional smoke. Very tasty and pleasant but not overly complex.

Then about ¼ or less into the cigar, two things started to happen that really opened my eyes to the joys of this cigar. The first was the subtlety of this cigar. Though dominated during the first quarter of the cigar, the tastes remained relatively unchanged, but subtle hints of chocolate and coffee started to make itself known. I say subtlety because I fear I would of missed these tastes if I had something else besides water to drink while smoking this cigar.

The second thing I noticed was the progression of strength this cigar had. What started off as a mild (but flavorful) tasting cigar, medium body, developed by the end of the first half into a full body, strong tasting cigar. Not the type of strength that makes your stomach queasy, but the strong strength that leaves you relaxed and lazy, not wanting to stand up.

The second half of the cigar, deepened from the sweet cream into chocolate, the coffee into strong dark coffee (I will use another’s term – espresso) and hints of pepper flowed. I also noticed near the end a hint of cedar as well. The finish was incredible with a nutty, peppery finish.

Some other details about this smoke have to center around two things. The burn and the smoke. The smoke volume was unreal, each draw (which was medium by the way) releasing volumes of smoke that filled the room -–and I smoke in a rather large room. The burn was not the best however. My humidor unfortunately lately has been on the high side and you could tell with this cigar. The ash formed thick and heavy, almost smothering the cherry and it burned unevenly for the first half of the cigar. I will be carefully monitoring my humidification level over the next couple of weeks, to try the remaining Siglo VI in better humidification circumstances.

Overall, this was an excellent smoke, but the size, ring gauge, length, overall “feel” of the cigar was a major selling point for me and fit comfortable in my hand and in my mouth. The construction was superb with out a sign of blemish in the brown wrapper and had just the right amount of firmness to it for me.

I score this cigar a 98 on taste, 100 on construction, 95 on ash/burn and a 98 on smoke. That all combines for an average of 97.75 – we’ll just round it up and say a 98 I really think that this cigar has a potential of a straight up 100, the last couple of points simply needing to be better humidified before lighting up.

Thanks for reading!
SamGuss is offline   Reply With Quote