Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Cedar Room Cigarticles-Main page stories

Now look, y'all. Just because I don't post here EVERY TIME there's a new article....hey, somebody else can go to the home page, right????....that's no reason not to check.

This week's article is by a longtime CW member and, dare I say a friend? Aaron Hines has written about a fantastic piece of his own design and construction. I hope you all enjoy.

Quote:
Building a cabinet humidor from scratch
February 9th, 2009
by Aaron Hines

In college, my industrial design course work included hands-on classes in all forms of manufacturing, including woodworking technology. During the woodworking class, we built several basic projects that introduced us to all of the machines in the shop. For the final project, however, we were given a very open-ended assignment, and were allowed to pick/design the item to build. For whatever reason, I decided that this would be a great time to build a cigar humidor with a great deal more capacity than my small desk top and tupperdor provided - not to mention that combining cigars and woodworking just made perfect sense!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Now look, y'all. Just because I don't post here EVERY TIME there's a new article....hey, somebody else can go to the home page, right????....that's no reason not to check.
Great article. Thanks for the link, Tommy. What's this "Home Page" you speak of? You mean Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups> ?

"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

CW was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to interview "the Driver of the Century" Mario Andretti who is lending his name to a new line of cigars from Pacific Cigars.

Quote:
CW Interview with Mario Andretti

Jon Davis (The JD): Do you like the CAO Italia?

Mario Andretti: What is that? A convertible? Seriously, I’ve never smoked the CAO Italia.

Cody (CodyMonster): How do you feel about having a cigar company and not being able to advertise your own product on your own cars?

Mario Andretti: That’s the law.

(carmine7075): My grandmother and my great aunts were cigar rollers in Pennsylvania in an earlier time. Did any of your family work in the cigar industry in PA?

Mario Andretti: No. I grew up in Italy. My grandparents never came to the United States. We moved here in 1955. My father then worked for Bethlehem Steel.

Question: My great grandfather smoked dry-cured Italian cigars, so I wonder if you started out on D'Nobili or Parodi? You know, how did you get into cigars?

Mario Andretti: I never smoked Italian cigars. I got acquainted with cigars from pure curiosity.

Mark (big ben): I see that the first cigar you chose to put your name on is 6.5 inch x 60-ring gauge one. Is this the size that you prefer? Are you targeting younger and inexperienced smokers with this size that exhibits an ‘exceptionally mild yet flavorful’ smoke? If so, will there be more sizes and strengths to be released in the future to lure us ‘hardcore’ guys?

Mario Andretti: Pacific took the lead on this and chose the 6.5 x 60-ring gauge. They brought it to me and asked if they could recognize the honor I received as Commendatore della Republica Italiana. Pacific felt strongly that the only cigar fit to carry the Commendatore name would be a 6.5 x 60-ring gauge.

Pacific brought me several different blends to try, all prepared by their blenders in the Dominican Republic. My preference was on the mild to medium side. Once we all agreed, Pacific began on the ring band and then the tube.

I don’t believe age or experience will play a major role in whether or not someone enjoys our ‘exceptionally mild yet flavorful’ cigar. I think that they have a lot to offer - great construction, unique and delicious profile. We find that their profile stands out and is their ‘own’ as opposed to being similar to this cigar or that cigar. We think that is very critical in this current market in order to achieve success. I have had several long-time cigar smokers, who prefer the more medium to full bodied cigars, really enjoy the subtle complexities of this smoke.

Currently, we are primarily focusing on the introduction of the first line of Andretti cigars into the cigar community, though in the future Pacific plans on putting together another blend for the Andretti line, which will be more on the medium to full bodied side. There are currently 6 sizes to the Andretti line of cigars, all with the same blend.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

A new review, with another to follow in a few days.
Quote:
Cigar Weekly Blind Review 2009 #2
Vegas de Santiago Don Luis Secretos del Maestro Churchill (natural wrapper)

Published Monday, March 23, 2009
Compiled by Doug McGuire (Mad Dawg)

Since taking on the mantle of Reviews Editor for CW last year, I’ve been surprised more than once by the results of the blind reviews I’ve coordinated. In many respects, this review is a perfect example. Prior to being contacted about a review by Lani Kaub Niehaus, Director of International Sales for Vegas Santiago SA (who graciously supplied the cigars for the review), I had never heard of Vegas de Santiago (“VDS”) cigars, or the Santiago de Puriscal region of Costa Rica where the filler and binder tobaccos used in making many of the cigar lines are grown.

The families who own Vegas Santiago SA have been involved in tobacco cultivation and cigar production in Costa Rica for over 80 years. Mr. Luis Santana Lamas was master of production for VDS for several years before his death. “Don Luis” had mastered the intricacies of cigar production during the 25 years he worked at the H. Upmann factory in Havana. The Don Luis Secretos del Maestro line is named in his honor. According to the promotional flyer I was sent along with the cigars, the line features “Caribbean tobacco [fillers], binder from Indonesian and Central America, and a Connecticut wrapper from Ecuador. In further correspondence we got this response “This cigar was named 'Secretos del Maestro' for a reason!!. We did not want the exact blend to be known.
For your article you may say that the blend is a 3 year old Dominican Ligero with an Ecuadorian ligero and a Costa Rican secco. The wrapper is a Habano2000 from Ecuador and the binder is from Indonesia.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Couldn't resist posting this one, either.

CW First Look

Quote:
Quesada 35th Anniversary

On June 29th, 2009, Davidoff of Geneva played host to the pre-release party of the Quesada 35th Anniversary cigar. The Quesada family, now in business for 35 cigars are normally represented by Manuel "Manolo" Quesada who has headed their company, MATASA. But this night saw the entire family gather to present this milestone cigar, together. In her remarks, Patricia "Pachy" Quesada Vega commented upon this family endeavour and the high regard in which she holds her father.

Tobacco has been an essential part of our lives since the day we were born; the aroma of a cigar instantly transports us back to our childhood. As children, our grandfather would take us to the warehouses and the factory so we could play on top of the bales and among the cigar makers. I am sure that if you ask any of us for a story about tobacco bales, and hide and seek we would have plenty to tell. These experiences are what characterize us as Quesadas!!!

Raquel and Patricia "Pachy" Quesada Vega

Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

It is a genius of marketing to bring family stories to the business.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

CW First Look : Cigar Spike

A new First Look. I only got the e-mail, can't wait to try one and report back.

Quote:
CWFirst Look

This new product has been introduced through a Cigar Spike company e-mail and press release. A new way to prepare your cigar for smoking without tearing up the head and getting bits in your mouth

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

This isn't directly related to Cedar Room topics, but it must be done.

Cigar Weekly's Tribute is finally published. I'm sorry it took so long. It is our lead article on the home page this afternoon, and will remain as such for, hopefully, a week.

Steven John Faccenda-Toje 1957-2010