Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #1511
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Well I've been in the South jail cell for a few days. When I prepare for myself alone it ain't fancy, it is food. Lotta sammies due to fresh 'maters that I brought. Oven frozen lasagna. Peaches that I brought. Stuff like that. I'm doing chix quarters right now followed by cabbage done in the leftover fat.

Thankfully I'm rolling back North in the morning and can at least cook for two again. That is very different than just feeding me...with me, if I don't want what I have I just ain't hungry enuf yet.

J.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #1512
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

That's a rule to live by. If you don't know what you want, you aren't ready to eat.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #1513
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Popeye's classic spicy chicken sandwich. They really went heavy on the sriracha in the mayo mix. Very spicy today. Still, wonderfully fulfilling chicken sandwich.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 AM   #1514
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I really need to try one of those. Closest Popeye's is a 30 minute drive.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #1515
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Lamb hash and leftover sides. Time to use up some veggies tomorrow. Girls want chowder and gumbo to follow.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #1516
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Just cheese and crackers tonight.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #1517
jeepdad
Club Member

Now that there's a Publix here in Virginia (I frequented Publix while in Tampa) I picked up some Cuban bread yesterday. I made Cuban sammiches and it was delicious. I'm on a low carb diet (again) but damnit I couldn't resist. I use mustard, swiss cheese, roasted pork with a Cuban spice, glazed ham, genoa salami and sliced pickles. I simmered black beans with red bell pepper, garlic, onion and other spices for three hours. It will happen again soon! For dessert I picked up some Guava cake bars from Publix.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #1518
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I can't turn down a Cubano.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #1519
jeepdad
Club Member

Same Jason. None of the "bakeries" in town carry Cuban bread. No real bakeries here have to drive into DC or elsewhere for that. The Publix I hit yesterday is 25 mins away. I was in the area for work. Fortunately, there is a Publix being built five mins away! A number of raunts locally offer Cubanos but weirdly none are on Cuban bread.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #1520
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

We have lots of Publix stores around here (conveniently located right across the street from Kroger). I only buy a handful of products from them (dairy among them, Kroger dairy products go off well before the code date). My neighborhood Kroger makes their own Cuban bread, but it sells out quickly. Oh, but what a treat when you find it. I marinate my pork for three days in a homemade mojo (including blood oranges, which Kroger also carries). The citrus and the pork go together like red beans and rice. I leave the pickles off because nobody here likes them. They say they hate yellow mustard too, but allow that it wouldn't work without it.

Unborn lives matter too.