Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #71
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf View Post
We have a street with all three (CVS, Walgreens and RiteAid) right in a row on the same side of the street in the next town. Do Americans really ingest so many drugs that needs to happen?
Yes

over 4 BILLION prescriptions a year, 67000 licensed pharmcacies (which is more than drug stores)

There is probably a grocery store in that area filling prescriptions too

When I worked for my uncle 100-125 RXs a day was a big deal. Now a CVS can churn out 400-600 or way more.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #72
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
brian both walgreeens and CVS buy small chains and individual stores to get the prescription files.
The first of the Skaggs Drugs (formerly a katz) that I worked for closed outright. We sold our prescription files to May's City. At that time, we had been the power players in the field. There was a single walgreens, a kmart, and a walmart. A few independents.

In the 5-10 years before closure, every grocery store in town installed pharmacies. Walmart expanded to four stores. May's built two more locations. The limited money in prescriptions was spread as thin as tissue. My pharmacy was open until 9 weeknights, and they sat on their asses reading all night.

Buying our files was a waste of money, IMO, there were very few people coming there for maintenance drugs.

The real irony is that the only surviving companies from that time are walmart and walgreens. They are literally 50% or more of the city's drug business, I believe. We have only got Target, a grocery store, and a few independents left.

Like every other aspect of retail, all that is left of the pharmacy business here has been vacuumed up by the big volume dealers. It's a natural process, but god, I hate this.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #73
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Something I forgot. One of the hospital systems opened up their own pharmacy. Right down the road from the hospital, in what was once the medical complex, it is literally one of the only surviving businesses left from the tornado. Three or four medical practices across the street survived.

They had a great plan, there were hundreds, literally hundreds of doctors within spitting distance, and their business was thriving because people knew they were there and chose them rather than driving farther.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #74
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Hospitals and clinics usually own pharmaices for a couple of reasons, and the proximity to prescribers makes it a natural fit

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #75
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

as far as I understand, a pharmacy is not a high percentage profit making center, but it is a way to turn a lot of money over at a realistic margin, and make volume and profit with only 2-300 square feet of floor.

Something else I just remembered is that one of the mental health clinics had an onsite dispensary. At first I thought it was a shameless money grab, then after further thought, I realized that it was a huge service to the thousands of poor and frequently dysfunctional people that went through those doors. They have to take public transport or walk to the clinic, isn't it good that they can then avoid a trip to the pharmacy to get their antipsychotics?

Sometimes cynicism stands in the way of discovering better things.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #76
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

there is a reason for convenience, and that is a reason many hospitals with indigent patients have clincis that dispense prescriptions - an effort to make sure they get their medications

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #77
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

CVS runs on a 3.5% -ish net Profit margin... consumer service industry is usually closer to 5%

their net income was about 4500 million dollars, so they do make it up in volume

Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #78
Herf
Club Member

Quote:
Yes

over 4 BILLION prescriptions a year, 67000 licensed pharmcacies (which is more than drug stores)

There is probably a grocery store in that area filling prescriptions too

When I worked for my uncle 100-125 RXs a day was a big deal. Now a CVS can churn out 400-600 or way more.

Two grocery stores and I think the Home Depot fills prescriptions, too.

The industry must hate me. I don't take anything other than maybe three ibuprofen a year and that is only if I have to play golf for three straight day in a member-guest.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #79
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

they don't hate you, they await you're day of catching up...

Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #80
Herf
Club Member

Quote:
they don't hate you, they await you're day of catching up...
I'm already 60. I don't think they are going to get me in their snare. I had one doctor try to kill me in my thirties and the only rule I have now is I won't take anything I can't be off of in 15 days.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote