Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Baraga, Michigan: Judge Bans Smoking at American Legion

This link to the Upper Michigan Source has a poll, as well. We need to vote. Basically a judge in Baraga Michigan has banned smoking at the American Legion hall. See the article for details.

Quote:
In a six-page order explaining his decision, Goodman finds the State is more likely to prove its case as "passed laws are presumed constitutional" and that the "Legislature has the authority to pass which limit people's exposure to health hazards."

The decision also required Goodman to weight the harm to the Post in granting the injunction versus the harm to the public in not granting the injunction.

Goodman decided there was more harm in not granting the injunction, because "harm to the public is presumed when a law, which has been properly enacted, is not followed," and what's more, not granting the injunction could cause more businesses or groups to violate the law.

Goodman's order is effective immediately.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
tonycsmoke
Club Member

The sad thing is that smoking bans have never been turned over as unconstitutinal. The only one that I know of that has been turned over was Louisville that was turned over because it banned in some and not others. They turned around with a stricter ban. Its sad that those that served to protect our freedoms are denied them so easily.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Biff123
Herf Meister

The ban in Michigan is for all places that serve food. The Lions, Elks, and Moose clubs are also banned from smoking because of this reason. I believe smoking is banned in alll public buildings except CIGAR BARS. Cigarlady knows the MI law better than anyone I know, I'll try to have her comment on this. And I did vote no!

Last edited by Biff123; 10-22-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Biff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Wonder how many of the VFW halls will actually BE smoke free? In my yoot, there were some guys in the VFW what woulda kicked anybody's ass over the moon that told them they couldn't smoke in THEIR building....dunno if its still like that anymore...but I'd bet it is...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
beevod
Herf God

"Ve know vat's good for you."
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
smokinlady
Starting Member

As far as I understand the law, you already can't smoke in any of the clubs or halls. No Elks, the Detroit Athletic club, nothing, private or not. Not based on serving food, but based on if you employ people. If you got your exemption as a cigar bar here, you actually can serve food in said establishment. There are a few cigar bars in Michigan that still serve food (Leaf, Barley and Vine in Brighton being one example). They amended the ban as close as a week before it took effect, cutting out the clubs. Small bargain was made writing them out. Very poorly written..... very frustrating...
smokinlady is offline   Reply With Quote